Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting the alpine pdx-v9 amp and mounting it in the dash under the steering column. I have the base stock setup so I don't have the upgraded factory amp with mount. Anyone have ideas on how I should mount it? Is there and aftermarket cage? Or how would I go about fabricating something?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm considering getting the alpine pdx-v9 amp and mounting it in the dash under the steering column. I have the base stock setup so I don't have the upgraded factory amp with mount. Anyone have ideas on how I should mount it? Is there and aftermarket cage? Or how would I go about fabricating something?
Take off the lower trim piece, there's room for an amp under the steering column. I had a price of sheet metal cut and drilled to match the two screws that are there and this RF PBR500 fit easily, I think the PDX is similar in size.
View attachment 280144

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mounted the same amp under the drivers seat....

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is good timing for me as well. I'll be installing the MRX-V70 in the near future. I'd like to put it in the dash if possible. I'm subscribing to this thread to see what all options are discussed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys my jeep came with a bazooka sub woofer already wired and mounted in back but I just figured there wasn't a amp. But now that I see you can mount the amp in the dash where you can't see it I'm wondering if there is a amp, is there a easier way than tearing everything apart to try and find it or would I just know.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys my jeep came with a bazooka sub woofer already wired and mounted in back but I just figured there wasn't a amp. But now that I see you can mount the amp in the dash where you can't see it I'm wondering if there is a amp, is there a easier way than tearing everything apart to try and find it or would I just know.
Stock amp is in dash under steering column. You can access that by prying the plastic trim plate directly under the steering wheel. Start at top, as there are tabs at bottom that won't come out until top is out. Once that is open, there are two bolts to remove a metal plate to gain access. Now that I've done it, I can do it in 3 minutes. The first time doing it took me 15, as I kept thinking I was going to break something.

An aftermarket amp, could have been put in passenger dash behind glove box. Open GB, put both hands on the sides of box in rear, squeeze hands together and it pulls right out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the underseat bracket. How does that work with heated seat wires? I'm considering it, but I'd rather do the dash. Mostly for the weather/water protection, but also for the antitheft. Biggest concerns are if I take offroad or getting inadvertently rained on. I'm not huge into offroad, but I don't want to restrict myself off the bat. I've heard the PDX-v9 fits in the stock enclosure, but I haven't messed with it yet. I looked behind the glove box, lots of room. Although, if I put the amp back there, any good thoughts on the crossover spots?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clarion Amp

I realize posts suck without pictures but I installed the Clarion XC1410 with my 430N. It sits snugly in the dash on the RH side of the radio. I have a small strip of rubber keeping the 2 seperated. Little amp BIG sound.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The product that you want is called skinny pedal TJ amp mount. The website seems to be down right now. I don't know if they are still in business. I have the bracket myself for my Alpine PDX-V9, but I haven't got around to installing it under the dash yet. Mine is currently still under my rear seat. Here are the pictures.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't really see why not. It's just a plate. But, that would really be a question for the manufacturer. Doesn't really matter if you can't get one anyway. It doesn't seem like the manufacturer is making them anymore. But, fabrication is just a plate with holes. You could take your Alpine PDX-V9 and see if it would fit under your steering column. This is the way that the Skinny Pedal mount works. Then, you could fabricate a plate of steel and weld brackets necessary to attach it under the steering column. It's clear that anyone with decent welding skills could easily fabricate the plate, and that is all that is sent to you. You basically have to mount it yourself, without any instructions. I looked at some of the threads on it here and it seems pretty easy to mount.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome, thanks. True, I think I can swing fabrication. I hope I can find someone who has done it before I buy the amp. Might impact my purchase/amp choice.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Here is some contact info if you want to try to get information. I have their email address but, it is linked to their empty domain, so it won't help. From what I've read, it might be difficult to mount under the dash in a JK due to some missing cross member in the steering area that was present in a TJ. I have seen the JK's mount it under the front seat since there is added clearance due to the heated seats. You might want to look at the TJ threads about mounting it and see if you have a similar area to mount it, under the dash. I looked and looked and I never saw a JK owner talking about mounting it in the same place as a TJ. Good Luck.

Skinny Pedal Products
345 W Karcher Rd Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: 208-887-7788

1 - 18 of 18 Posts