Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Mount and Cable

771 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Jester1492
I just purchased a 2015 Unlimited and this mount and cable are above the mirror and cable runs to the spare tire. Was this for a backup camera or a CB radio? Anyone familiar with it and know what brand it would have been?
Mirror Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Rim Carbon
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
'89 YJ, Golen 4.6 Sniper EFI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
6,840 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That would be a CB antenna cable, the bracket looks like a Cobra 29GTL or similar sized CB

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Could also be UHF/VHF coax (although I highly doubt it). Hard to tell what the mount might be from. Most any radio you acquire will come with its own u-bracket and should replace that one easily enough.
Really depends on the antenna/radio combination. That is a PL 259 connector used for most CB, FMRS/GRMS, and Amateur radios (i.e. HF, VHF, and UHF frequencies). One issue is the how the coax itself is made. That is likely RG 58 coax which isnt very efficient at higher frequencies such as VHF and UHF (i.e. you loose a more power between the radio and the antenna as the frequency increases)

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Really depends on the antenna/radio combination. That is a PL 259 connector used for most CB, FMRS/GRMS, and Amateur radios (i.e. HF, VHF, and UHF frequencies). One issue is the how the coax itself is made. That is likely RG 58 coax which isnt very efficient at higher frequencies such as VHF and UHF (i.e. you loose a more power between the radio and the antenna as the frequency increases)
Well ....... I've used RG58 for 30 years on UHF/VHF and while ANY cable is going to experience a degree of loss, it is just fine on the 10-15 foot runs that we use with mobile applications.

Regardless, I'd replace that coax. You never know how it was handled when it was installed and a break or sheath tear is always possible. Plus the fact that a lot of folks aren't careful when removing stuff from a traded vehicle.

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Well ....... I've used RG58 for 30 years on UHF/VHF and while ANY cable is going to experience a degree of loss, it is just fine on the 10-15 foot runs that we use with mobile applications.

Regardless, I'd replace that coax. You never know how it was handled when it was installed and a break or sheath tear is always possible. Plus the fact that a lot of folks aren't careful when removing stuff from a traded vehicle.
Just like @StevieTex stated, RG58 is fine for short runs and I too have used it for years. His suggestion to replace it is also spot on as you dont know how it was run, what chaffing has occurred and if it has been damaged somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts