Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through Google and the JK forums but didn't find what I was looking for. I bought a 48" hijack lift and want to mount it inside the Jeep. I have a hardtop so clearance shouldn't be an issue but the mount has to be solid so it doesn't slide into the windows. Ideally, I'd like it mounted higher up on the rear roll bar so it won't interfere with my tool kit and gear boxes that I carry when wheeling. U-bolts are a possibility if it will be sturdy enough. I also have the roll bar mounts for the soft top that are a good connection point.

Any creative ideas or pics of ways you mounted your hijack lift inside the jeep?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look on Amazon. Made by dominion off road holds a 48" just under the roof horizontally.
Thank you. I did find this one but it looks like its currently unavailable. Plus the mount costs more than the jack itself. Looking for a more budget friendly option.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I use the dominion off road hi lift mount, it is very solid and holds the hi-lift securely, a major factor when mounting the hi-lift up on roll bar. I can not see hi-lift from front seat or from rear view mirror. It's a nice solid bracket and great safe solution.
If you have a four door some folks store hi-lift under back seat and use a bungee to keep if from rattling but back seat must be in upright position.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dominion Offroad is the only company I know that makes this. I got mine for Christmas and it is well worth the cost. Mine also holds and ax and shovel but I took them off the show the jack.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dominion Offroad is the only company I know that makes this. I got mine for Christmas and it is well worth the cost. Mine also holds and ax and shovel but I took them off the show the jack.
I like that! Did you have to remove the top to install it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it, too. Do you have to drill into the roll bar to install it or are there some existing holes?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I made brackets for the roll bar using exhaust pipe brackets and some scrap steel straps that I had. In my case, I mounted it about half way up the rear roll bar; a bit easier to get to and still leaves room to see out the rear-view mirror. Cost was less than $20.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made brackets for the roll bar using exhaust pipe brackets and some scrap steel straps that I had. In my case, I mounted it about half way up the rear roll bar; a bit easier to get to and still leaves room to see out the rear-view mirror. Cost was less than $20.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like that! Did you have to remove the top to install it?

It takes about 15 minutes to install. All you have to do is unzip the roll bar cover and the bolt holes are already in it. It has a stud coming out that inserts in a hole already in the roll bar to keep it from rotating and then insert bolt back in and tighten. There is a right side and a left.

You don't have to remove the top to install and if you buy the complete kit you can add an ax and a shovel, or whatever tools you would like to hold by the handle.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It takes about 15 minutes to install. All you have to do is unzip the roll bar cover and the bolt holes are already in it. It has a stud coming out that inserts in a hole already in the roll bar to keep it from rotating and then insert bolt back in and tighten. There is a right side and a left.

You don't have to remove the top to install and if you buy the complete kit you can add an ax and a shovel, or whatever tools you would like to hold by the handle.
Cool...thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn, I didn't know there were holes on the top of the roll bar. I had two extra soft top mounts and I sold them on eBay. I knew I would need them someday lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Left and right brackets (images are upside down; don't know how to fix). The larger one on the right holds the base of the jack.
I like what you did here. This could work and be inexpensive, too. Do you remember what size U-bolts you purchased?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like what you did here. This could work and be inexpensive, too. Do you remember what size U-bolts you purchased?
They were probably either 2 1/2" or 2 3/8" diameter; not remembering exactly (measure the diameter of the roll bar plus cover plus check the distance between the holes in the base of the jack as the bolt ends have to go through those holes).

What's also important is how long the straight part of the U-bolt is, at least on the one that is used for the base of the jack because it has to be long enough to protrude through the holes in the base and allow for the wing nuts once you cinch it down.

Buy 2 or 3 sizes and take back what you don't use.

For the bracket for the top end of the jack, I made a 90 degree bend in a steel strap that was just wide enough to fit between the two edge ridges that run the length of the jack, and that strap was pretty thick (maybe 3/16 or 1/4") and that bolt and wing nut that you see in the picture goes through one of ratchet holes in the jack (so you have to position that bolt hole correctly). Once that wing nut is tightened down on the jack (and the rubber washer for compression), the jack doesn't move at all; I've never had it come loose.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^Thank you for the explanation of how you put it together. I'm gonna hit Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can piece together.

·
Registered
34,447 Posts
River Raider has a great system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts