Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, sorry if this is a mispost. wasnt sure if this counted as "tech" or not but here goes:

I'm contemplating buying a winch and was wondering if anyone has been able to modify the stock front bumper so you can mount the winch low enough that the lead comes out of the middle of the bumper instead of mounting it on top. I really like the "hidden" winch look but other than that I haven't found an after market TJ bumper that is aesthetically pleasing enough to be worth the price.

pictures and maybe links to "how to" pages would be nice, or just opinions in general.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You won't have enough room to drop the winch between the frame rails due to the depth of the front bumper and the interference of the sway bar. Plus there is a tubular frame member right behind the bumper

·
Registered
443 Posts
You won't have enough room to drop the winch between the frame rails due to the depth of the front bumper and the interference of the sway bar
That and there is part of the frame that runs behind the front bumper.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Just FYI, winches that come out through bumpers, are still mounted above the frame rails. The bumpers are just made higher to cover them. Here's mine. The fairlead is behind the license plate, but you can see how much higher the bumper is on the top compared to the stock one.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a bummer, there isn't a way to even sink it down a few inches? i'm not opposed to cutting away any non-essential metal. I realize that i could figure this stuff out by simply removing the front bumper and taking a look at what's back there but i appreciate you all saving me the time haha.

here's a better example of what i mean, is this bumper just taller so it looks like the winch is hidden?:

unfortunately the winch being somewhat hidden is the only thing i like about this bumper for my build.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just FYI, winches that come out through bumpers, are still mounted above the frame rails. The bumpers are just mad higher to cover them.
oooh that makes sense, I had a feeling that was how it worked. thanks for the info :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That's a bummer, there isn't a way to even sink it down a few inches? i'm not opposed to cutting away any non-essential metal. I realize that i could figure this stuff out by simply removing the front bumper and taking a look at what's back there but i appreciate you all saving me the time haha.

here's a better example of what i mean, is this bumper just taller so it looks like the winch is hidden?:

unfortunately the winch being somewhat hidden is the only thing i like about this bumper for my build.
Yes, that bumper is a lot higher than your stocker. The bottom is angled down to the bottom of the frame rails. You will find that the total height on that one is about the same as mine. Look at how far up the grill the top of the winch sits. As we mentioned before, there is a tubular frame (read structural) cross member right behing the front bumper that is very close in diameter to the inside height of the stock bumper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that bumper is a lot higher than your stocker. The bottom is angled down to the bottom of the frame rails. You will find that the total height on that one is about the same as mine. Look at how far up the grill the top of the winch sits. As we mentioned before, there is a tubular frame (read structural) cross member right behing the front bumper that is very close in diameter to the inside height of the stock bumper.
yeah i just went and looked at my jeep and i think i know exactly which piece of the frame you're talking about. you can see it from the side going through the pieces of the frame that run the length of the vehicle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's a bummer, there isn't a way to even sink it down a few inches? i'm not opposed to cutting away any non-essential metal. I realize that i could figure this stuff out by simply removing the front bumper and taking a look at what's back there but i appreciate you all saving me the time haha. here's a better example of what i mean, is this bumper just taller so it looks like the winch is hidden?: unfortunately the winch being somewhat hidden is the only thing i like about this bumper for my build.
Who makes this bumper??? I want this

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
There are a few threads by guys who have cut the front crossmember and mounted the winch out of sight. Either here or on Jeep Forum.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much.. While they are expensive, they look to be solid and I love the integrated lighting
Yeah its a nice bumper but for my build I want something stubby and a little more wallet - friendly I want my tire to always be the first thing that touches the boulder if I line it up right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts