Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding a place to install an amp in a wrangler was giving me fits. I wanted it 100% hidden and protected from water when going topless.

I finally bought an Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Compact upgrade for any car radio — 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com

I was hopeful that I could fit the amp behind the head unit Pioneer MVH-X560BT Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com

This head unit is a digital media receiver and since it does not play CDs, it is much more shallow, does not go as far into the dash as a standard head unit.

Finally got some spare time to play with it and it fits easily, don't think it would even be close with a CD head unit.

Used a thin piece of maple plywood (I had it sitting in my shop) and cut it to fit the shelf under the stereo, there is plenty of clearance. you can see in the picture below that it widens out after it passes the plastic shelf. I could only get one mounting screw on each end attach to the wood shelf.

I mounted it so the RCA connectors come out on the passenger side and the speaker connectors on the driver side. I ran an 8 gauge wire directly from the battery (overkill) but again, I already had it. For a small amp, it does pretty well. I you want to blow out the neighbors, probably not the amp for you.

Wood is held in by 2 zip ties you can see in the front. If you are wondering about the hole towards the rear, my plan was to run the antennae wire through that because it was quite short, then I found that the antennae was just catching and once I released it the hole was not necessary.

I am running Rockford Fosgate speakers in the sound bar and have a pair of Pioneer 4x6 speakers that I found as an open box real cheap that will go into the dash.

Here it is prior to the head unit going in.

Hopefully this helps someone out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not an audio guy, but I know that others have mounted below the steering column. There's a thread on it. Might be too late since your finished, but an option if you decide to move it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I read those, I didn't like the idea of adding heat down there, my feet get hot enough.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That's a good idea. I have the amp that's just a bit smaller than that (it cost 100, forgot the specs apart from it being a compact Alpine). Since it's only hooked up to the sub, I have it crammed under my driver seat, wedged in by my lock box.

How much better does that amp make your speakers sound? Running around naked again, I forgot how crappy they sound when they're turned up louder. I'd love to get a 4 channel amp that I could hide up there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put in a kenwood compact today. I think it's 3x8x 1 3/4 of close to it. Didn't like it under the column and there was no room by the head unit so I mounted it under the console in front of the stick. There is a bolt there so I shimmed it up with 1/2 " nuts and screwed it into the metal around the shifter. All the wiring is hidden and you'd never know its there. Maybe not a good spot for heat, but after an hour of playing with it today it never became too hot to touch and the nuts give room for air to get underneath it. Now I'm curious to see how it sounds at 55 with the top off.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good idea. I have the amp that's just a bit smaller than that (it cost 100, forgot the specs apart from it being a compact Alpine). Since it's only hooked up to the sub, I have it crammed under my driver seat, wedged in by my lock box.

How much better does that amp make your speakers sound? Running around naked again, I forgot how crappy they sound when they're turned up louder. I'd love to get a 4 channel amp that I could hide up there.
Sounds pretty good, no more clipping. Crappy rainy weather today so haven't tested topless yet. Will report back in a couple of days when I can go topless.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out the speakers I bought are a special size only for GM, VW or Mercedes. Not to be thwarted by GM or the krauts, I decided to trudge forward. The Speakers are Pioneer TS-G4645R. The mounting plates barely extend above and below the long ends of the speakers and the mounting points on the Jeep are a ways further.

I took the stock speakers and from the back cut off the mountings for the speakers, and guess what, they drop right in. Drill a couple homes in the old speakers and the Pioneers fit perfectly. Took me about 10 minutes with the dremel to cut off the backs and break away the plastic on the front for the original speaker covers.

A little solder, shrink tubing and mount them up. Sometimes you get lucky.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Question, I have a 2015 with the 130 Connect radio. I just bought the Alpine KTP-445 and trying to figure out how it plugs in before taking out my dash.
The Alpine KTP-445 I bought has a plug with already spliced wires at one end. The other cable it came with has a plug with RCA inputs.

The back of my radio does not have RCA inputs. DO I need to spice and alter these plugs ?

If so what do I do, how does it work..

Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought the clarion xc1410 and replaced with another because of buzzing noise and my new clarion does the same thing. Eventually I'll replace with alpine but I installed mine behind the glovebox. There was plenty of room and zip tied it to the bracket underneath.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I used a Clarion XC1410. Velcroed it to the HVAC tube just under the steering column. I used a couple of zip-ties just to be sure. No heat to speak of. Works great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used a Clarion XC1410. Velcroed it to the HVAC tube just under the steering column. I used a couple of zip-ties just to be sure. No heat to speak of. Works great.
do you get a slight buzz from your speakers when volume is turned down? I'm on my second one and it's doing the same thing. I grounded it to the grounding post on pass foot side.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the same Amp and mounted it in a very similar fashion behind the radio in the dash. It seems to work pretty well. It is still challenging with the top down, but to beat that you need wakeboard speakers and a huge setup.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe there are 2 KTP-445s, 445U & 445A. If I remember correctly, the U is for universal and the A is for Alpine and connects directly to an Alpine head.

If your system does not have preouts (RCAs) I think you will need to hack off the RCAs and wire directly, there are some DIP switches I think you need to tinker with as well. I know this is covered in the manual

Did you buy it second hand? If so, search for PDF manual.

Question, I have a 2015 with the 130 Connect radio. I just bought the Alpine KTP-445 and trying to figure out how it plugs in before taking out my dash.
The Alpine KTP-445 I bought has a plug with already spliced wires at one end. The other cable it came with has a plug with RCA inputs.

The back of my radio does not have RCA inputs. DO I need to spice and alter these plugs ?

If so what do I do, how does it work..

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe there are 2 KTP-445s, 445U & 445A. If I remember correctly, the U is for universal and the A is for Alpine and connects directly to an Alpine head.

If your system does not have preouts (RCAs) I think you will need to hack off the RCAs and wire directly, there are some DIP switches I think you need to tinker with as well. I know this is covered in the manual

Did you buy it second hand? If so, search for PDF manual.

I bought from best buy. Attempted to hook it up today. I finally understand all the speaker and wire hook up. Only thing I don't understand is how to hoot it up for constant power 12v. The blue wire and yellow wire with the black box attached to it. where do those two wire connect too?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yellow wire -> battery
Blue wire -> Remote turn on, since the amp has constant power even when vehicle is off, the amp needs to turn on and off when the source turns on and off. There should be a wire out of your head unit (usually blue) that is +12V when the stereo is on.

Do you have the instructions? If not, PM me and I will scan the relevant sections.

John

SN95GT50

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
do you get a slight buzz from your speakers when volume is turned down? I'm on my second one and it's doing the same thing. I grounded it to the grounding post on pass foot side.
No buzz. A little alternator whine when I've got the volume down, but not a buzz.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts