Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey: I have read on these boards where some people save money by purchasing the tires and have them shipped to their house. When they arrive who does the mounting and balancing? I know many years ago we mounted and bubble balanced our own tires, but now days with Death Wobble and such I'm thinking that balancing would have to be much more accurate. Was just wondering if purchasing them at one place and having them mouned at another is worth the money.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Lotta reasons-

Some people getta deal on tires and buy them-then wheels later

Some have a local tire/dealer that gives them a break on mtg/bal

Some guys have a new jeep on order and have an arrangement with the dealer to "Swap" tires--

All kinda different reasons !

I don't think anyone mounts.balances their own, unless they own a shop-which does happen !!(I've done that)

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You just have to see which way works out better for you. If you can save $20/tire online, but it costs you $25/tire for mounting and balancing you haven't saved anything. I'm buying tires online and wheels from my dealer. He is actually the cheapest place I found for the wheels, plus he will put the tires on them for me.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
:wavey: I have read on these boards where some people save money by purchasing the tires and have them shipped to their house. When they arrive who does the mounting and balancing? I know many years ago we mounted and bubble balanced our own tires, but now days with Death Wobble and such I'm thinking that balancing would have to be much more accurate. Was just wondering if purchasing them at one place and having them mouned at another is worth the money.
I remember we used to do that but the old bubble balance is almost like not balancing at all now. The best now, I'm sure you know, is on the vehicle balancing. I like to use a local tire shop because in the remote chance there is a problem I don't have to worry about it. Saving $50 at this point isn't worth it to me if there's some type of problem. I'm sure that some have not had problems. I won't take the risk. Besides, I like to support local businesses that do good work and that I have a relationship with.:)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I agree. I'm not taking my business to the internet over $50, but when it's hundreds it's a no brainer. When I bought the tires for my Lightning last time I saved over $100 per tire online and did the M&B myself. I longer have access to the equipment, so I've got to balance the cost vs. benefit a little more carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts