Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was thinking of ways to get more flex out of my YJ and I was wondering if I cut off the front shackle hangers and moved them back about 2.5-3", would I get more downward flex? I need to replace my passenger side hanger anyways since I came down on a rock with my shackle and bent the hanger so the shackle is leaning quite a bit. Has anyone done this? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, cut off the factory hangers. Fab up new ones the are more towards the rear

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well doing that will compress the spring more and give it some extra arch but i think that would mess with the axle and steering components.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Unless you also moved the rear mount forward but then compressing the springs would be a bitch and it would ride extremely rough

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
GO SOA if not already.. plenty of flex that way..

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't go spring over yet without losing an already angry women haha. Just bought a bunch of stuff for a chevy engine swap like engine, tranny, transfer case etc

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
Okay, how about longer shocks...remove the track bars .. its a leaf spring only so much you can do with the stock stepup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can go revolver shackles , buggy springs , shackle reverse, z boxes shackles, that will give you more along with new shocks

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, how about longer shocks...remove the track bars .. its a leaf spring only so much you can do with the stock stepup.
I have long travel bilsteins, and 4" sua lift. I thought about moving the hangers so the front springs could move down a little more. It worked when me and my dad did it on his blazer with lifted springs. Just wondering if anyone has tried it on a yj

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If you move the spring hanger on the front, towards the back by a couple inches, the only thing that you are going to encounter is the shackle sticking straight out instead of down.

The shackle isn't going to stay straight up and down when you do that, and it will actually limit compression and result in a much stiffer ride.

The only way you would be able to pull it off, would be to get the springs re-arched to compensate for the shorter mounting distance.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you move the spring hanger on the front, towards the back by a couple inches, the only thing that you are going to encounter is the shackle sticking straight out instead of down.

The shackle isn't going to stay straight up and down when you do that, and it will actually limit compression and result in a much stiffer ride.

The only way you would be able to pull it off, would be to get the springs re-arched to compensate for the shorter mounting distance.
I thought the shackle not being vertical would help, but now I do see how that can affect compression. I guess I'll just have to keep collecting parts for soa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts