Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting real tired of having to hold my license plate down, and hold the pump just right to fill up gas. Is it possible to take the fuel filler off a tj and put it on the side of the yj? I haven't been able to find any info on this via google or the forum search so if anyone has done this, help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yes you can, but I found it easier to just take the spring plate off and put my license in my receiver. I wired led lights to be legal

·
Registered
250 Posts
easy mod to do in a short time. I converted mine to TJ style. Once you gather all the fuel line extensions etc. I was done in under 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Here is a pic of mine from a while back. I found that when removing all of the things required to move your filler it makes more sense to do whatever you want back there at the same time. I used diamond plate because I didn't feel like welding the steel in the back, and decided to do LEDs at the same time. I am a perfectionist so it would have tripled the amount of time it took to finish. I also just used my YJ filler and fitting. I riveted everything together and used all aluminum so it doesn't rust. One day I will put on a nice locking cap, or maybe even a door. For the plate you can move that to your tire carrier using a bracket that you can get at almost and offroad website.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yes you can, but I found it easier to just take the spring plate off and put my license in my receiver. I wired led lights to be legal
That rear bumper location would last about 90 seconds at my local offroad park...:doh:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I take it off when on the trail, two plugs for the wire and the license slides right out the receiver.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, you all just confirmed what I thought. I'm going to get the tj filler bezel and try this out over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks guys, you all just confirmed what I thought. I'm going to get the tj filler bezel and try this out over the weekend.
You don't need the tj bezel. Just move the one you have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have never understood the problem people have pumping gas with the stock yj setup. I can fill mine up and even walk away from it without a problem, it shuts off fine. What is the problem?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't need the tj bezel. Just move the one you have.
I want the after market one with the locking door cover because I work in San Bernardino, and I have had my fuel siphoned 3 times in the past 2 months even with the locking cap....

Or you could flip the licence plate bracket upside down. That's what my PO did and it works great.
I'd still have to stop it from closing when filling up.

an LED conversion puts the lights out of the way, After I did my conversion Ffilling up is easy!
Lights never were the problem because I have recessed LED lights already.

I have never understood the problem people have pumping gas with the stock yj setup. I can fill mine up and even walk away from it without a problem, it shuts off fine. What is the problem?
You're lucky then. For us in California, we have all this extra weird "clean air" stuff on our pumps that make filling up difficult. See how our pumps look and you may understand the problems people have with pumping gas with a stock yj setup. The Spring loaded cover thing is the real problem....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Man if you have had your fuel siphoned that many time you should not put a lock on your tank. Those desperate bastards will drill a hold in your tank if you do that. I have seen it more then once.

Also, my stock filler had major problems. Damn thing would never fill right. Me or the previous owner could never figure it out. It would shut off if you tried to pump more then about 25% speed. Was a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man if you have had your fuel siphoned that many time you should not put a lock on your tank. Those desperate bastards will drill a hold in your tank if you do that. I have seen it more then once.

Also, my stock filler had major problems. Damn thing would never fill right. Me or the previous owner could never figure it out. It would shut off if you tried to pump more then about 25% speed. Was a pain in the ass.
I have a skid that those desperate bastards won't get through without an acetylene torch, and that's one of my problems with the stock yj filler too.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I am just lucky to live where we don't have that stuff.
Very lucky indeed, I can't wait to finish college and leave California :dance:

·
Registered
190 Posts
How did it turn out? I have a gas line leak and I'm going to pull tank and such. Wanted to do this mod, so now is the time!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did it turn out? I have a gas line leak and I'm going to pull tank and such. Wanted to do this mod, so now is the time!
Turned out great, I got the TJ bezel and cap, used my stock hoses that I had to cut in half and extend them with metal pipe the same inside diameter as the hoses. You can still use your stock YJ bezel if you want, I also re welded the rear hole closed with a metal sheet close to the same thickness of the body and made it look like there never was a hole. At the pump it made a huge difference and I don't have to hold the damn pump a certain way for it to work anymore

1 - 20 of 39 Posts