Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here....two weeks ago I purchased a 06 Rubicon and I'm looking to put a lift on it soon. I don't go off road all the time, so I'm not trying to build a rockcrawler or anything crazy. I do want good capabilities though. I plan to join a club in No. Virginia/DC area when I get back from Afghanistan in June. I'm going to get a lift to fit 33's. I'm curious to see how hard it would be to move up to 35's down the road, after having a 3 or 4 inch lift. If I get a 4" would I only have to put in 2" spacers? 3" lift and add 2" spacers and 1" Bl? What other mods would have to be done to the jeep? Would I have to get longer drivelines, or anything else? Appreciate your time...

Chris

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
If you went with a 4 inch lift with adjustable arms to start off with then moving up to 35's would be a piece of cake. You could easily fit them with a 1" BL or a little spacer. When you start hitting the 4 inch range in suspension lift you are talking about driveline issues also. A Slipe Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a longer driveline will be in order. However if you do that up front then adding in your 35's later will take little effort.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Does the 06 Rubicon come with a SYE? For some reason I was thinking it did. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though. Thanks again....

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
lunneborgc said:
Thanks for the quick response. Does the 06 Rubicon come with a SYE? For some reason I was thinking it did. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though. Thanks again....
Yes it does, but you will need a new driveshaft (more than likely) after you do your lift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for clearing that up for me, this is sounding pretty easy. So I would only need the adjustable arms, and a new front and rear driveshaft?

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Your front driveshaft should be fine for a while (until you break it). I don't have any vibrations or binding in my front with a 6" long-arm kit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
lunne:

welcome to the forum, and make it back safe. Check out marylandjeepclub.org , real great group of people and super laid-back as well.

For your lift, I would stay away from a body lift over 1.25" As for your lift, a 4.5" lift plus a 1" body lift / motor mount lift is a great combo for 35's (and will look decent with 33's as well) When going to 35's you'll need to regear, though with 33's the rubis stock gearing will do alright.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TJGreg....that was another question I had, thanks for answering it before I had to ask. (How much tire the 4.11's could handle) appreciate the info. That's pretty much what I've seen across the board, 5.5" of total lift for 35's.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
lunneborgc said:
Sorry boss, I was on a Conf. Call here in the office and I totally spaced out that you had a Rubicon.

And also I think for the time being 4.10's would be fine for you. Going with 35's you won't notice that drastic of a drop in performance over the 31's you have on there right now. Going from 4.10 to 4.56 isn't a very big jump.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
1BLKJP said:
And also I think for the time being 4.10's would be fine for you. Going with 35's you won't notice that drastic of a drop in performance over the 31's you have on there right now. Going from 4.10 to 4.56 isn't a very big jump.
4.10's are fine for around town, but lag a little on the highway. I haven't regeared mine yet, and have had it this way for a little over 18 months. And for part of that time, I was making a 50 mile commute to work in it on the freeway. No worries!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts