Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, that's correct. The aluminum I used is 1/8" thick. IIRC, I picked it up for cheap on ebay.
You have any issue w/ the light flickering when flashers are activated?
I am getting power and grounding at the passenger harness based on info posted above.
Would it be a grounding issue? Should I ground directly to the body?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
OK, I just checked my license plate light. There is a very slight flicker when the LH signal is on (or the hazard lights on). I mean REALLY slight, like barely noticeable. I had to hold a piece of paper directly under the light and stare at it to see a slight variation in the light output. No flicker at all with just the RH flasher on.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, I just checked my license plate light. There is a very slight flicker when the LH signal is on (or the hazard lights on). I mean REALLY slight, like barely noticeable. I had to hold a piece of paper directly under the light and stare at it to see a slight variation in the light output. No flicker at all with just the RH flasher on.
Thanks for checking. I think it’s a ground issue. I unplugged the negative lead at the light and connected it to the trailer harness ground, which grounds to the body. No flicker. I’m going to run a new ground to the metal in the tail light area tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
FYI, it was the ground wire. I moved it to a direct body ground (w/ a self tapping screw) and no more flicker.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
FYI, it was the ground wire. I moved it to a direct body ground (w/ a self tapping screw) and no more flicker.
OK, so here's my update.
Turns out I ran wires from the original license plate light to the new light. Like I said, mine flickered ever so slightly but only with the LH turn signal. I grounded it directly to the chassis, and the slight flicker is gone.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK, so here's my update.
Turns out I ran wires from the original license plate light to the new light. Like I said, mine flickered ever so slightly but only with the LH turn signal. I grounded it directly to the chassis, and the slight flicker is gone.

Thanks for the tip.
Glad it helped.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wish someone made a wiring harness similar to the one you run to the drivers side tail light for the trailer that just goes between factory harness and tail light harness. It would have output for license light and 3rd brake light. I know it can be done but I have never seen one. I hate splicing factory wires. Would rather plug and play.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I wish someone made a wiring harness similar to the one you run to the drivers side tail light for the trailer that just goes between factory harness and tail light harness. It would have output for license light and 3rd brake light. I know it can be done but I have never seen one. I hate splicing factory wires. Would rather plug and play.
With as huge as the Wrangler aftermarket is, I've been pretty surprised at what a hack-job most of it seems to be. Crappy wiring, missing parts, Chinese tinfoil-grade steel, and those miserable damned rivnuts as far as the eye can see...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I used a trailer harness run from the passenger side. It would do both the running light (license plate) and brake light, although I did not use the brake light wiring... I kept the stock brake light. No wires but or spliced.

Reactions: JKU62

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used a trailer harness run from the passenger side. It would do both the running light (license plate) and brake light, although I did not use the brake light wiring... I kept the stock brake light. No wires but or spliced.
What plate relocation kit did you use? Did it come with a 4 prong that you just plugged into passenger side wired trailer wiring?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What plate relocation kit did you use? Did it come with a 4 prong that you just plugged into passenger side wired trailer wiring?
I used a Teraflex bracket w a plate light off Amazon. It is reference above in this thread. It did not come w a 4 flat plug. I used the bullet crimp-ons that came w the light. No way a 4 flat would fit they the hole in the tailgate.
Light: https://www.amazon.com/Technologies-License-Plate-Light-25-9170/dp/B0031BKBQ8?tag=wranglerforumconvert-20

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thought I would ask here. Anyone know why there are 5-6 wires in the tailgate and what they are for besides the one for the brake light?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thought I would ask here. Anyone know why there are 5-6 wires in the tailgate and what they are for besides the one for the brake light?
Power tailgate lock and door-open sensor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used a piece of 6061 T6 aluminum behind the plate. It is a little taller than the plate (like 3/4" taller), and it has a hole in it for the plate light.

I totally stole your plate adapter idea. Not sorry. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts