Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the Misch kit and it's just under 100 bucks shipped. That seems like alot for two brackets and some screws. The 4 inch addition is debated and I think it is because if you have your seat (back) back, you will not go 4 inches because you will hit the back floor.

That being said, I'm thinking of making somethig myself. I had a JK before and I moved the seat back 2 inches by redrilling the rails. I do like the idea of 4 inches, and I believe that I will have to make something that will achieve the 4". So if anyone out there was in the same position, I'd like to hear from you.

I have not looked into TJ the seat mount much, but from first look, it looks alot easier than the JK.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I have them and they make all the world of difference for comfort. Note you can get them a bit cheaper from sites other tham Misch.

Correct in the TJ, the rail hits the wheelwell before it travels the full 4". (3+ inches is more than good enough)

I have not looked into how the rails are mounted and if you could redo any mounting holes. I did that in my mustang until I found brackets like the Misch for the stang. It's much safer to go with the brackets as opposed to drilling new holes.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I did the seat riser blocks and liked it. It gives you a better view over the hood and gives you additional leg room..

Dana

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I did the seat riser blocks and liked it. It gives you a better view over the hood and gives you additional leg room..

Dana
x2, and I know that if I got the big boy kit I would be streching to reach the wheel when I would be at the point of leg comfort, so the riser is kinda the best of both worlds. 6'3"

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have them and they make all the world of difference for comfort. Note you can get them a bit cheaper from sites other tham Misch.

Correct in the TJ, the rail hits the wheelwell before it travels the full 4". (3+ inches is more than good enough)

I have not looked into how the rails are mounted and if you could redo any mounting holes. I did that in my mustang until I found brackets like the Misch for the stang. It's much safer to go with the brackets as opposed to drilling new holes.
I just put my seat extensions in too. Big difference....much better for being 6'4"!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I installed a set to attempt to alleviate some knee pain I had, needless to say it didn't help, I *may* be willing to let go of mine for cheap, PM me

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
x2, and I know that if I got the big boy kit I would be streching to reach the wheel when I would be at the point of leg comfort, so the riser is kinda the best of both worlds. 6'3"
The steering wheel is so close, I don't think you'd be streching to reach it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I redrilled the driver's side bracket on mine and gained close to 2 inches of rearward travel. It made a world of difference to this fat boy.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The steering wheel is so close, I don't think you'd be streching to reach it.
Might just be the way I have my seat laid back

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for the record........

I'm 6'4" and about to be about 200 lbs, so tall I am. With arms and legs to match.

Interesting that raising the height made it better for some. Almost all, or actually all my vehicles I have driven and owned, I have positioned the seat as far back and as low as possible. Go figure.

I do find that I drive with my seat (back) back more vertical than when I was younger. That can only be done with high roofs like my PU and van, along with the wranglers. Cars.....foggetaboutit!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. One of the things I don't like about my Jeep is how miserable it is to drive it. After reading this I'll be making some changes to my seat that should make for a much happier driving experience. :cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just pulled my seats and started doing some old fashion designing. If you have a drill, some bits, a little scrap steel and a welder and some time, you'll be able to gain a solid 3 inches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just finished installing the kit from Misch. I haven't driven it yet, but I did sit in it after the install. It made a pretty good difference. I think the Jeep is gonna be much nicer to drive now. I may even move the seat forward a tiny bit. :p

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Debating on getting the bb kit vs risers. I like the set I seen on stu-off road.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I am 6'3 and have the misch brackets in both the tj and lj...much more comfortable..I put 1 inch risers in the lj due to the seats sitting lower in the 03-06 tjs...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts