Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving to Cali soon. Jeep will remain registered out of state. Are there any cali specific laws regarding equipment I need to consider and fix before leaving? I.e. flares, covered off road lights, etc?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I read this not too long ago from a 4WD magazine :

California
(Vehicle Code)
Summary: The state that leads the nation in overregulation specifies maximum frame heights. Also, body lifts are limited to 5 inches.
FRAME HEIGHTS (§24008.5) 4,500 lb GVWR or less27 in.4,501-7,500 lb GVWR30 in.7,501-10,000 lb GVWR31 in.
"(1) Frame means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.
"(2) Frame height means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.
"(3) GVWR means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer."
Body Lifts (§24008.5): "The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame."
Fenders, Mudflaps (§27600): "Adequate protection" that's "at least as wide as the tire tread" is required.
Headlights (§24400): Mounted no higher than 54 inches nor lower than 22.
Taillights (§24402): Required.
Foglights (§24404): Mounted no higher than 30 inches nor lower than 12; two lights maximum.
Driving Lights (§24405): Mounted no higher than 42 inches nor lower than 16; two lights maximum.
Passing Lights (§24411): Mounted no higher than 42 inches nor lower than 24; two lights maximum.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you keep out of state regs.... And get pulled over... You better have the drivers license to match the reg. with a residence in CA. you have 30 days to change your junk. 2 of the 3 must match. Between liscense, reg and insurance. They are slick and will catch you in a bind. One good reason I moved to Reno.

·
Registered
839 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
If you keep out of state regs.... And get pulled over... You better have the drivers license to match the reg. with a residence in CA. you have 30 days to change your junk. 2 of the 3 must match. Between liscense, reg and insurance. They are slick and will catch you in a bind. One good reason I moved to Reno.
Wat do u mean 2/3. If ur reg is in lets say az. Then Ur isur. Has to be az too? Or ur lic. But one or the other? So i could get my ca lic and keep the jeep Az reg?

Ive been living in socal for just over a year now and use my jeep as my daily driver. The whole summer (march-present) have been driving with no doors. And no mirrors. I also dont have my flares mounted also have 2 6" windshield lights and two bumper mounted 8"inch lights with no covers and i havnt had a single issue with law enforcement.

·
Registered
583 Posts
MNTNGOAT said:
Wat do u mean 2/3. If ur reg is in lets say az. Then Ur isur. Has to be az too? Or ur lic. But one or the other? So i could get my ca lic and keep the jeep Az reg?

Ive been living in socal for just over a year now and use my jeep as my daily driver. The whole summer (march-present) have been driving with no doors. And no mirrors. I also dont have my flares mounted also have 2 6" windshield lights and two bumper mounted 8"inch lights with no covers and i havnt had a single issue with law enforcement.
Bumper mounted lights are considered fog lights but windshield lights can get you in trouble real quick and its not a cheap ticket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
By law, yes your supposed to have covered lights and flares that cover the entire tire. I would highly recommend covering your off road lights higher than your bumper. It's quick and easy. As far as flares go I haven't had an issue to date with my 33s sticking out past the stock flares. My friends that run similar setups haven't either. It still doesn't mean you can't get busted for it though. My dad, a CHP offcer, said that officers aren't specifically looking for things like flares and light covers. People given citations for such violations are usually pulled over for speeding or not having current tags first, and then its really dependent on the officers discretion whether or not they are ticketed for the other violations. That may not always be the case though! If you are ticketed for flares for example, I would invest in Rugged Ridge? extended flares and go down to the police station and have them do a ticket sign off that you have fixed the violation and that will lower the fine or extinguish it all together. On the ticket it will say whether or not the violation is fixable. Something else to consider before your move, make sure that your emissions system is up to snuff, i.e. installed cat. California emissions testings suck! And you will need to get a smog check in order to register your Jeep here. On another note welcome to California! :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

OK... I will try to explain...

Say you are from PA... you move to TN, buy a car... then move again to CA

Your license is from PA.... you have TN tags and CA insurance... NOT GOOD

two of the three must match... but by law.. you have 30 days to change your license over to CA UNLESS you are military ( I was ) I had to maintain insurance coverage from my home state along with my home state license that satisfied CA minimum requirements.

So... if you have your Jeep in CA and registered in another....AND you get a CA license... your insurance must be from either CA or the state is registered in AND satisfy CA minimum coverage. This will give you headaches with law enforcement when pulled over... how?

CA license means you are a resident.... Jeep in your name in another state... means you NEVER re-registered your Jeep within the 30 day time frame. Now you can BS and tell them you just got it here from home... blah blah blah... but if they are good, they will see your insurance card dates and see that you are ducking the system and that can land you a hefty fine.

Just trying to for-warn you of potential problems that could arise. You can do what you want, but I have been down this road in CA and it's NOT pretty or CHEAP in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I need to clarify that I am military and do not have to change anything to cali as far as drivers license or registration. My address with insurance provider will be updated since unfortunately the rate depends on the physical location of the vehicle. I will have an illinois license, illinois registration, and illinois plates. I just don't want to have anything on the vehicl tht will draw unwanted attention. So I will cover the lights mounted to my winch and add wider flares. I was going to do that anyway. Any problem wih flat flares? Assuming they are wide enough.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I need to clarify that I am military and do not have to change anything to cali as far as drivers license or registration. My address with insurance provider will be updated since unfortunately the rate depends on the physical location of the vehicle. I will have an illinois license, illinois registration, and illinois plates. I just don't want to have anything on the vehicl tht will draw unwanted attention. So I will cover the lights mounted to my winch and add wider flares. I was going to do that anyway. Any problem wih flat flares? Assuming they are wide enough.
Then you are good to go.... that's what I briefly stated....

...UNLESS you are military ( I was ) I had to maintain insurance coverage from my home state along with my home state license that satisfied CA minimum requirements...

·
Registered
47 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
Then you are good to go.... that's what I briefly stated....
Ok, but let me add one thing to all this. I was stationed in SOCAL while on active duty for about five years. IDK if all bases are like mine was, but they enforced all CalDOT rules and regulations. Included in this was rules governing emissions and lifts. I personally had to get my exhaust up to speed. Cost me over 600 bucks. And ha a friend who was cited for his truck being lifted to high. Had another cited for tint on the front windows. All three trucks were registered out of state but made no difference. It had to do with some agreement with the state. I would recommend you contact your new duty stations Provost Marshals (or equivalent) and ensure you won't get into hot water.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thank you for your sevice as well as the heads up. Hopefully they aren't as enforcing in northern cali.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ohsixlj said:
Well thank you for your sevice as well as the heads up. Hopefully they aren't as enforcing in northern cali.
And thank you for yours. After 21 years nothing about the military surprises me. Best of luck to you and remember to keep your head down and your powder dry. The rest is just details.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Ok, but let me add one thing to all this. I was stationed in SOCAL while on active duty for about five years. IDK if all bases are like mine was, but they enforced all CalDOT rules and regulations. Included in this was rules governing emissions and lifts. I personally had to get my exhaust up to speed. Cost me over 600 bucks. And ha a friend who was cited for his truck being lifted to high. Had another cited for tint on the front windows. All three trucks were registered out of state but made no difference. It had to do with some agreement with the state. I would recommend you contact your new duty stations Provost Marshals (or equivalent) and ensure you won't get into hot water.
Yes... I forgot about the change... you are correct.... The road rules compliance has always been then there as far back as when I was active duty in SOCAL 87-93.... the emissions compliance for out of state vehicles thing.. hmm.... I don't recall when that took affect, but by that time, I was owning CA vehicles I guess.. LOL

BTW... I retired out of MCAS Miramar in 2006! MALS-11:thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
California is a little weird about engine swaps - I don't know all the details, but if you swapped in a Hemi (or something), you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Moving to Cali soon. Jeep will remain registered out of state. Are there any cali specific laws regarding equipment I need to consider and fix before leaving? I.e. flares, covered off road lights, etc?
I know that you are referring to vehicle laws in your post but really as a native born California resident I would say that most of the laws here are oddball. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
768 Posts
California is a little weird about engine swaps - I don't know all the details, but if you swapped in a Hemi (or something), you might want to check it out.
Yea you can't put in any engine you want. It has to be an engine that a wrangler originally came with but the year doesn't matter...so you can toss in a 3.6 if you want but a hemi or LSx won't fly. And then it has to be inspected by the smog referee before you can smog it.

OP, for smogging don't move or remove the cats from their stock location and any engine mods (intake, header/s) have to have a CARB EO#...other than that you'll be set.

On the road the CHP loves to write you for window tint but I haven't had issues with fender flares yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts