Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relocating from Chicago to Denver in a couple of weeks and I am also due for a new set of tires. Running 35x12.5/17 Ridge Grapplers, while they do good in deeper snow they suck in packed and wet conditions.

Naturally a dedicated snow tire would be ideal but I don't think there are any in 35s, I am considering going with a 3 peak rated AT tire and even considering adding studs. Do any of you guys stud your tires? The jeep will spend 85% roaming the metropolitan Denver area with weekend outings.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I wouldn’t stud any tires. We have BFG KO2’s on both Wranglers and they are more than enough. If you do go on snowy trail rides, make sure you recovery gear and let someone know where you’re going.

Reactions: rkcreative

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t stud any tires. We have BFG KO2’s on both Wranglers and they are more than enough. If you do go on snowy trail rides, make sure you recovery gear and let someone know where you’re going.
Thank you for the feedback. I always have my recovery gear and Garmin in reach in the jeep :)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I recommend a good AT tire. We do get snow covered roads but the weather in the Denver Metro is pretty nice and usually by the afternoons any snow/ice has been melted. If you need additonal traction, chains (offroad) and siping tires are more common

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend a good AT tire. We do get snow covered roads but the weather in the Denver Metro is pretty nice and usually by the afternoons any snow/ice has been melted. If you need additonal traction, chains (offroad) and siping tires are more common
Thx for the feedback. Looks like Grabber AT/X and a set of chains when necessary is the ticket.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know. I know Kenda's A/T, which is almost identical to the R/T is 3PMSF rated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know. I know Kenda's A/T, which is almost identical to the R/T is 3PMSF rated.
That's what I saw. I like the look of the R/T, they claim that tire to be good in wet and snow but there is very little info on them out there. Do you have any experience with them?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had them for about a year now. I cannot comment on deep snow as we had a mild winter 2019/2020. The one storm I did drive in was about 6" and it performed well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I live in Breckenridge. Studded tires do not help with snow. They only help with ice near 32F. When it gets really cold and the ice gets hard they don't help. I have Nitto trail grapplers which suck in the snow and ice. I am switching to Cooper STT Pros at the end of next season. I have an Audi with dedicated snow Nokian's for the winter.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I’ve had the 35x12.5 17 ridge grapplers for several years. They work fine in snow. Also never go snow wheeling alone in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I've lived in Denver since 1976. I've never bought studded tires. I don't even know if they're legal here. I can't remember ever buying snow tires except for the BFG KOs for my last two Jeeps (if you consider a KO2 a snow tire). What I usually do is whatever 4X4 truck I've had through the years always has premium all season tires all around. When they get even close to being worn, they get replaced. My truck is more of a work vehicle and my Jeep is more of a fun vehicle, so when the weather gets crappy, I drive the truck. It's easily replaceable if anything happened to it. I'd be hard pressed to find a Wrangler like my old YJ.
I always have a set of chains for the truck and if there's a lot of snow (which is pretty rare) I chain up while the truck is in the garage. I hate flat tires and I really hate being stuck. Some folks carry a bag of Kitty Litter in their trunk. I prefer the half inner tube filled with sand. The weight adds traction and if you get stuck you can open one end of the tube and use the sand for traction.
The real secret is use common sense and a light foot on the accelerator. Never let your gas tank get below half.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just put on a set of Nokian Hakka LT3 studded tires on the Jeep. (My previous winter tire on the Jeep was a set of General Arctic Altimax which were really good in snow/packed snow/powder, but were very very average on ice.)

By chance had ice on the road a few days ago and the Jeep had ZERO issues, as vehicles around us were sliding at less than 10 mph. The Jeep just stopped. Had no issues at all and was VERY impressed. The biggest problem was avoiding being rear-ended. The guy behind me hit the guy in front of me, as I just changed lanes and kept going.

First day of 'winter' the tires were worth every penny :)

Have not driven the LT3 in deep snow, but suspect they will be fine. I personally would have liked more 'siping' on the LT3 like the Nokian R3 / SUV model, but they were not available in the size I wanted (265/70/18 mounted on stock 18 inch Sahara rims). I was not looking for a studded tire, but the siping on the LT3 made me think the non-studded LT3 would be just ok on ice (compared to the much more heavily siped R3 SUV).

I put on a set of Geolandars G015 a few months ago as my all seasons / summer tire and suspect they would be good in the winter, but I like a winter tires on all of my vehicles. I am pretty certain that the Geolandars would have had issues on the ice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just put on a set of Nokian Hakka LT3 studded tires on the Jeep. (My previous winter tire on the Jeep was a set of General Arctic Altimax which were really good in snow/packed snow/powder, but were very very average on ice.)

By chance had ice on the road a few days ago and the Jeep had ZERO issues, as vehicles around us were sliding at less than 10 mph. The Jeep just stopped. Had no issues at all and was VERY impressed. The biggest problem was avoiding being rear-ended. The guy behind me hit the guy in front of me, as I just changed lanes and kept going.

First day of 'winter' the tires were worth every penny :)

Have not driven the LT3 in deep snow, but suspect they will be fine. I personally would have liked more 'siping' on the LT3 like the Nokian R3 / SUV model, but they were not available in the size I wanted (265/70/18 mounted on stock 18 inch Sahara rims). I was not looking for a studded tire, but the siping on the LT3 made me think the non-studded LT3 would be just ok on ice (compared to the much more heavily siped R3 SUV).

I put on a set of Geolandars G015 a few months ago as my all seasons / summer tire and suspect they would be good in the winter, but I like a winter tires on all of my vehicles. I am pretty certain that the Geolandars would have had issues on the ice.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there aren't any dedicated winter tires in 35 X12.50R17 .

I am stuck between going with General Grabber A/TX or Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.

·
Registered
58 Posts
nokian makes it in a 315x70x17. But, you’re better off going with a good set of ATs. I have the wild peaks on my work truck and they are horrible. I put duratrac on my wife’s truck and they are awesome.

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
Carry chains. Winter in the West is way different than in the Midwest. Roads are better kept and the sun burns off the wet streets pretty fast. I have been in the Tahoe area for over 7 years and have not even installed chains and don't run any special tires. I live at 6000' so we see our share of snow. Chicago winters just suck, you will love it in Colorado. I am from Champaign and don't miss it one bit.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The Grabber AT/X’s were on my short list and wish I had got them instead of the MT/R’s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts