Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got orders to move to Fort Huachuca in July. I have a 2010 Jk that I bought last October that doesnt have A/C. I was never worried aboutdriving it around Pennsylvania, as I could deal with a couple months of 80's and 90's with the top off and doors off. 6 months of heat with routine temps in the 100's has me concerned.

I have a lot of different thoughts. One is to just deal with it for now since I've only had it 6 months. We have another vehicle, and I'm just hoping that we both end up working on post and can carpool during the really bad days.

Second idea is to try to sell it myself, over the next couple of months, and then wait until I get down there to buy another. Would make the cross country trip easier with one vehicle.

Third is to trade it now and take a bit of a hit. I owe $17,000 on it, and think I can get close to that. Has a decent amount of upgrades and shows well. If the upgrades add no value, I'll put all the original stuff back on and keep them for my next Jeep or have the dealer switch it all.

What do you think?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, but "it's a dry heat". Get ready to hear that a lot. I would consider A/C mandatory in S. AZ (I lived in Phoenix for a year). Granted it's not an inhuman heat with ungodly humidity like Texas or Florida.

·
Registered
444 Posts
IF you want to sell, I would sell it in Pennsylvania and not Arizona. Folks in Arizona are going to want AC. Depending on how far you are from work and the amount of traffic, You might could survive without AC. But I was in the New England area for a few years and everyone there thought 85* was hot. 100+ is very common down in the South, but as mentioned, it is a dry heat.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I live a short distance from your new duty station and you'll definitely want A/C here. Another option is to have it installed. I did that with a truck once and it looked just like OEM A/C and it worked just fine. Something to consider, especially if your Jeep is set up the way you want it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive looked into having it installed. It cant be done because of something to do with the PCM not accepting it in JK's. Thanks for the input so far, especially the advice of selling it here. I had thought about that already and assumed no one in AZ would buy it, and if they did it would be at a substantial loss.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Look up the Arizona virtual jeep club when you get there. Quite a few members in your area.

Ive looked into having it installed. It cant be done because of something to do with the PCM not accepting it in JK's. Thanks for the input so far, especially the advice of selling it here. I had thought about that already and assumed no one in AZ would buy it, and if they did it would be at a substantial loss.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went years in hot climates with vehicles that didn't have A/C. I've reached a point in my life where even if I only used the A/C once a year, it's something worth having. I'll never have a vehicle without it, but then again it's standard equipment now.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ive taken many cross country trips. I know it was mentioned above about "dry heat" and how tolerable it really is. I live in South Florida and we do get our 95 degree days but its nothing like Arizona. Honestly I thought I was going to die out there and I wasn't even in direct sunlight. You want AC 100%!!!! I would put an add on craigslist and sell the Jeep while you are still in your current location. If you can get close to payoff then let it go!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The biggest thing to understand that many things are dry heat sources.... Fires and ovens!!!!! Ac is a must in southern az.... Unless you drive open all the time and then sunburn and monsoons will be the next topic.... I rocked no ac my first year in Tucson and let me tell you the horror!!!!!! I agree on selling it in the north not here... But on a good note phx is hotter, but once you break the 110 degree mark nothing matters... You will enjoy it here and congrats on the orders.... Many trails to hit here... Safe journeys....

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm in AZ and you will definitely want AC. You will also want to sell it before you get here or you'll either be stuck with it or forced to sell it for pennies. Sorry.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yeah, but "it's a dry heat". Get ready to hear that a lot. I would consider A/C mandatory in S. AZ (I lived in Phoenix for a year). Granted it's not an inhuman heat with ungodly humidity like Texas or Florida.
Clearly you haven't spent time in AZ during monsoon season.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I didn't know you could get a JK without A/C, learn something new everyday. Since they apparently sell the JK without air, then they likely sell an A/C kit to add it to the JK. I'd look into the cost of such a system as you'll likely loose more than the cost of such an install trying to trade the Jeep for another. I worked in Nogales for several years. You can survive without A/C, lots of people have, and do but it'll be more comfortable.

·
Administrator
42,612 Posts
First Husker, I'd like to say thank you for your service.
As far as the no A/C issue: I agree with everyone saying you should trade it before you PCS. I'm an Arizona native just up the road in Tucson and I only run the A/C for a month or so each year. I'm used to the heat and run my Jeep naked as much as I can and only run the A/C when I need to put the top on for our summer rainy season. Coming from back east you will be arriving at the main time of year when you will need your A/C. Our "monsoons" normally run July and part of August and it's nice to have some cool air when you have to put the top up.
When you get here, there is a pretty active group down there, I believe they are called "Sierra Vista Off-Road" and I think they have a Facebook page. The main guy goes by FerninAZ here on the forum and he goes by fernieinaz over on JKOwners forum. We also have a (not too active) local thread here also: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/tucson-crew-176581.html

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Let's clear up this "dry heat" thing. Temps in the 90's are hot, even if it's a dry hot. If that same temp was a wet or humid heat, it would feel even hotter. But a dry heat doesn't mean it feels cooler than a given temp, hot is still hot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I live in Phoenix and AC is a must have item. Inside the car it can get above 180 degrees no problem. You can burn yourself on the metal seatbelt parts. You can cook an egg on the hood, seriously.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, with all of the first hand knowledge posted, I'm gonna see if I can sell it. I hate having to do it because I've already put like $2,000 into it in 6 months. But, I really dont want to burst into flames.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I lived in Tucson for 10 years. Had a dark blue car with no AC. It sucked but I was able to deal with it. I later got a black CJ7 and ran a bikini top. It's amazing how much cooler things were without the windows and doors. If you're inside all day and just drive in the mornings and evenings, a Jeep is an ideal vehicle. Anyway, it may depend on how well you think you will acclimatize and how dedicated you are to your Jeep. No AC - first world problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I guess i'm going to be the lonely opposition here. I PCS'd to Luke AFB (Phoenix) in 2004 as a broke A1C with a car without working A/C. Honestly after that first year I didn't care. Now that I'm retired we moved back to Phoenix, well Surprise actually, and the only time I ever throw the A/C on is if I have the kids with me. Granted I worked on the flightline so I got used to the heat REALLY quick, but it isn't as bad as people say. Just make sure you leave your windows open or at least cracked, and a sunshade on your windshield and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It really depends on your tolerance for heat and your mindset. I like the heat so 100º+ weather in the city in a black JK doesn't usually phase me but when tired and stuck in endless traffic I do use AC. However, when I go roaming around the desert in SoCal and Baja it can get easily get 110º+ and I never once even think about using the AC because that is what I am there for. If anything I will put the top on because its too hot even with the SpiderWebShade.

There is a quad cab pick up in our family group we always use for supplies and if you want AC you are welcome to ride there. IMO, if you can deal it with it for a while then do so but I know well from all the complaints I get from the passenger seat the heat is not for everybody. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts