Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not positive about the 3.73, but I have a 4.10 2dr JKR auto and get around 16.5-17.5 around town and about 18.5-19.5 on the highway (figures are from the computer). I do live in the mountains, so these numbers, especially the highway, may not be very representative of where you'll be driving. I do enjoy the extra oomph of the 4.10 though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
First five tanks with my Auto 3.73 2013 JKU Sport S w/Hard Top and stock SRA's from the computer.

19.3, 18.9, 19.4, 19.8, 20.2

I use 85 octane and drive about 70miles a day around Boulder, Longmont and Denver. I drive quite a bit at 40-60mi an hour which seems to be a good sweet spot for mpg. Manual checked the mpg against the computer and it was off -.1 so not a big difference. I was driving yesterday and was thinking to myself god I love this Jeep. Best vehicle to drive I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my wife's unlimited 07 with 4.10s gets about 15-16 in town with most of our driving below 40mph and 20-21 on the highway at 70ish.

you are right, MeadHawk, i think the same thing when driving ours. i love driving it versus anything else we have had. even more then our 735i bmw we used to have and my 325i that was very modified. this jeep is just so nice and hte v6 is so much fun.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Below 60 miles per hour there will be no real difference in MPGs between the two gear ratios. Above 60 miles per hour the 4.10s will make your mileage nose dive faster than the 3.73s will.

I have 3.73s and I actually get less mileage on an interstate trip than I do driving back and forth to work. I can't imagine how bad it would be on the interstate with 4.10s.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 4.10's and the best mileage I get is when cruising on the freeway between 55 and 70 mph. I'm probably getting around 17 mpg on the freeway and 14.5 to 15.5 everywhere else. However I live somewhere with a lot of hills. That being said, 70mph is a magic number since as soon as I go over that, my mileage drops to nauseatingly low. The 3.73's may be better in that scenareo, however at 70+ mph I'm inclined to believe it has everything to do with aerodynamics and wind resistance against a steel brick rolling on mud tires than the gear ratio.

For the record, I'm in an '08 Rubicon 2 door so my post is probably of limited use to you. Hope it gives an idea though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nah, the info is good, same engine, trans, and axles. Only difference is we got an extra set of doors.

·
Registered
260 Posts
12' JKU, 3.73 auto, in D with 1.5" spring lift, stock wheels and tires, no air dam, and 215lbs of bumper and winch on the nose. If I get on a road that doesn't have a stoplight every 3 miles (a big ** to MD), and I can set the cruise, I get 21.8 (indicated) everytime over a long distance.

·
dirt road inspector
3,010 Posts
When I go for my annual physical there are two questions that my doc ask that I don't necessarily answer truthfully.

1. How much "beverage alcohol" do you consume?

2. How often do you have sexual relations?

If he ask me: "What mileage you get with your JK?" I would answer like the responses above.;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bah i want a rubi so bad but choosing the gear is keeping me from pulling the trigger, i really can't decide whats best. I might go up to bigger tires but who knows if i ever will, i'm more of a weekend warrior. And it will be my DD. I do like in the yukon so lots of hills/moutains, and nothing is close so i do spend some time on the highway when driving places but usually keep it around 70mph.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my third wrangler, second JK. Finally got my dream jeep...a '13 JKUR. I got the 4.10's but I am going to be putting 35's on it when the stockers wear out. AND, I drive about 60 miles a day for work. I spend alot on gas and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love the 4.10's.

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
I loved the 4.10s stock. Was getting 19-21mpg and the Jeep felt plenty quick.
Then I added 35's and mpg dropped to 17-19. Still had plenty of power.
Now after adding steel bumpers I have trouble getting 16mpg and the added weight is very noticeable. Removing the plastic air dam probably didn't help either.
With a winch and skids on the way it will only get worse.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya is 19 mpg achievable with 4.10 in a auto with stock tires doing 70 with the cruise set on? Like is the the difference 1mpg between 4.10 and 3.73 or more or less?

·
Registered
7 Posts
19 mpg is achievable with 4.10 as you described as long as you're not going uphill. MPG in the city is the same, if not better, but the best I've gotten on the highway is 20. So it's somewhere between 1-2 mpg less than with the 3.73, maybe even 3 less if you're highway is very mountainous as you described..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow, I'm getting 14mpg hand calculated in m 2door auto. 90% highway at 70mph. 3.73 gears and stock sized mud tires

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I go for my annual physical there are two questions that my doc ask that I don't necessarily answer truthfully.

1. How much "beverage alcohol" do you consume?

2. How often do you have sexual relations?

If he ask me: "What mileage you get with your JK?" I would answer like the responses above.;)
Does that mean you are drinking more cause you aren't getting any? Didn't you get an AC/DC head for your JK so you can get some while you are rollin down the highway?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts