Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What be better for mpg? 4 wheel drive or 2? The reason why I ask is because if u use 4 wheel ur not dragging a set of wheels. Just trying to figure what's best for mpg.

·
Registered
553 Posts
2wd is better. Jeeps are rear wheel drive so no wheels are being dragged.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
2wd. Also you can't use 4wd on roads unless there snow covered so really doesn't matter.. your stuck in 2wd unless you are on snow covered roads or offroad

·
Registered
717 Posts
4wd vs 2wd

Unless you have a limited slip differential in the xfer case you will be creating a binding in the front/rear in the transfer case. This is due to any difference in circumference of the tires and the front taking a longer path on any forward turn. That windup can actually rip the transfer case apart and can surely make it almost impossible to shift out of 4wd.

It is not advisable to use 4wd on any solid smooth surface. It isn't as critical on dirt/gravel roads as the wheels slip enough to keep the binding from building up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Ty. I kinda figured all that but was just making sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always take the "if not 100% sure, ask others" route.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I always take the "if not 100% sure, ask others" route.
Good idea...

The front end on 4WD vehicles tends to be geared slightly faster so that the front can pull the rear end (from the weight of the engine giving more traction). Even if you are going perfectly straight the drivetrain will bind and can just destroy your transfercase.

That and the front end also travels a further distance in a turn than the rear end does. some argue that in a 360* circle the front travels 2x the distance as the rear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the Gforce chip work?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
yes, they work well as a expenisve paper wieght

·
Registered
132 Posts