Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive only got the 4 banger, doesnt seem like i get that great of gas milage.... seems like im always downshfting to make it up tiny ass hills and whatnot. would the 6 be close on the gas mileage? im trying to check it right now, im close to empty, about 200 miles.

·
Registered
933 Posts
not sure exactly what youre asking
there are too many variables to give a proper answer

what exactly are you running with?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
There is not much of a difference in MPG between the 4 and 6 cyl. I have the 4.0 and get about 18 mpg. If you are running larger than stock tires and haven't regeared that will cause you to be downshifting alot on small hills also. I was trying to remember if I down shifted alot in my 4cyl I had a few years back but can't remember for sure.

Have you done a full tuneup lately, that really changes my gas mileage and power.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
yes, the 4 banger doesn't get much better mileage than 4.0, and most driving habbits it comes out the same.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I get, at least my last tank, 19.31 mpg. With the aerodynamics of a tool shed what can one really expect. The fun factor makes up for the lesser mileage. The 4.0 6 cyl does a good job and has decent acceleration getting on the highway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha yeaa ive owned full size chevys from the 80's since i got my licence. same aerodynamics.
ive got a lot of work to do as far as tuneup and rustproofing for this winter goes. i have yet to offroad this beast; trying to take care of a vehicle for a change, but ive noticed a lot of new rattles and chatters this past week or two. ive gotta chace those down and tighten them up even though i dont know what caused them. but as far as the 4.0 goes, ive heard several times that they get about the same gas mileage as the 2.5's. my last tank was just about 20mpg

btw my tires are 31" with a 2" shackle lift. just about all thats been done to this jeep....... so far

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
If you haven't yet, replace ALL of the universal joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts