Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
According to UPS, my MBRP exhaust will be here tomorrow. While I was waiting, I ordered an aFe Momentum GT intake with a Pro DRY S filter.

I like this one for two reasons. One, the openings in the intake box are high enough that water crossing ability will be pretty much the same as stock. And, two, it uses a washable dry filter. No oiling!

And it's got a cool tire tread design that will look right at home under the hood of a Jeep! ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I finished up the exhaust and took it for its maiden voyage. I like the sound of it. It's got a nice rumble without being obnoxious. Hovering in the 2500rpm range sounds perfect. We'll see how Mrs. Hooz likes it this evening when she gets home from shopping with her sister. :)

The fit and finish was perfect. Everything slipped right together and lined-up perfectly. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the old exhaust off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
More goodies arrived today! I'm at work, so I didn't want to break everything out of the box for pictures, but I'll snap some when I get it put on! :D

As a side note: Mrs. Hooz is still not liking the exhaust. She told me I should buy another JKU for me, put the exhaust on it and then buy a different exhaust for her. I like the way she thinks! ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Newest update... Rancho RS9000XLs! Here is how it started the day.

The front height was right at 35.25" to the fender (measured from a level floor through the center of the wheels). The back was 36.25" to the fender.

Factory front shocks:

I put on the 9000XLs and some 1" TeraFlex spacers with the factory (17) springs.

And here is how she sat with the front done and the factory (57) springs in the back.

The front was sitting right at 37" to the fender, the back was at 36.5" Then I changed the rear shocks and threw on a stiffer set of factory springs (59). I did NOT put the TeraFlex .5" spacers in the back because I wanted to see how it sat with the new springs first.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but I was running out of daylight. Here's how it ended up for today.

The front is at 37" and the back is at 37.25", so it has just a bit of rake. We'll see how it settles and maybe then I'll add the TF spacers in the back. This Jeep sees some tow duty, so I like a little bit of rake to make up for the sag when towing.

I set the front shocks on 5 and the rears on 4 and took it for a spin. Holy crap! It rides SO much better than it did!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for the pics and write up. I will be going from 14/55 to 18/59 springs and a 3/4" front terra spacer. I just installed 17x9 wheels and 295/70/17 Nitto Grapplers no rubbing or issues at all but I am adding the springs and spacer as said above. From your experience and reading your thread I do not think I will have to change or add any other suspension parts, Correct? My vehicle will not be a hard core off road vehicle mainly street with some trail riding. Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You shouldn't need anything else. Even though those springs are going to give you some lift, they are still "factory" springs, so they should work within the factory specs for all the other suspension components.

Remember to loosen/bounce/shake/retorque all of your control arm and swaybar bolts (with the tires on the ground) after you get the springs and spacers put on!

·
Registered
149 Posts
As a side note - I think the Daystar Hood Wranglers are the best $25 I've ever spent on any mod. Ever.

I have reread the thread twice to find it, but I keep missing it - what are "Daystar Hood Wranglers"?

It has only been a month, but has the exhaust stayed about the same, or has it gotten a little louder? Better? worse? Any drone, and at what speeds?

And the million dollar exhaust question, has the Mrs. started to like it, and if not, what JK are you looking at for you to buy/drive and to put the exhaust on? :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have reread the thread twice to find it, but I keep missing it - what are "Daystar Hood Wranglers"?

It has only been a month, but has the exhaust stayed about the same, or has it gotten a little louder? Better? worse? Any drone, and at what speeds?

And the million dollar exhaust question, has the Mrs. started to like it, and if not, what JK are you looking at for you to buy/drive and to put the exhaust on? :D
Geez. Lots of questions! Let me see what I can do to answer them. ;)

The Daystar Hood Wranglers are replacement straps for your hood latches. They are stiffer than the flimsy rubber ones that come from the factory. They cost about $25, take 10 minutes to install and they completely stop hood flutter.

As has been my experience with aftermarket exhausts, the MBRP system has actually mellowed out quite a bit since installing it. You can definitely hear it when accelerating, but cruising at normal highway speeds with the radio on (not loud, just normal "conversation" volume) and top up, it's barely audible. We made a 2 hour, mostly 60-75mph freeway round-trip last night to meet our daughter for dinner, and it was audible but not annoying or drone-y at all.

She still wants something quieter, but she's not in a rush anymore to get it swapped out. I will get to it eventually, though (See below ;))

I wound-up getting another one for me anyway... Silver Unlimited X with RK 2.5" lift, 20" chrome XD Badlands (Yeah, yeah. They were on it when I got it!) and 35" Toyo MTs. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cool - answers, and yes, you did answer them all!! :D

I had always heard them called/ referred to them myself as rubber hood straps. I went with the Tuffy hood lock, so the el cheapo stock hood latches serve me for now. :)

Thanks for the update on the exhaust. I know I want one, but still torn on which one. I really am leaning towards the Dynomax, but I am planning on waiting until spring to make the final decision.

AND lastly - congrats on the new Jeep (we all knew you would get one, we just didn't know when!) :tomatoes:

So I assume the thread will be another two for one build thread, (those get you twice the info for half the reading time) or will you keep separate build threads? :D

Oh - and the 20" chrome XD Badlands will look really good once you get the 40" tires on them!! :bop:

Cheers! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
70 Posts
So two Jeep builds now :popcorn:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Subscribing, where are you headed with your new jeep? Going for a beauty and the beast type thing for his and hers or what?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Subscribing, where are you headed with your new jeep? Going for a beauty and the beast type thing for his and hers or what?
I'm not sure yet. Obviously, it has some stuff done to it already. I've been daily driving it, getting a feel for it before I decide what I want to change and/or add.

It will probably end up a little more extreme than Mrs. Hooz's, simply because her JKU is the "family car". Mine is free to be a toy. :D

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
whats better than 1 JKU? 2!! nice work! My wifes lease is up on her Passat next month and I keep driving by the dealership looking at saharas, but she wont bite, she immediately gets drawn to the GC Overland or the Durango Citadel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey I think I want to do the same so I should be able to do a 3/4 spacer and lt285/65 18 it is for the wife doesn't want to big tir we had a jeep with 305/55/20 and seemed to search for the potholes. Do you think this will level it and give slightly more aggressive look?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts