Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey I think I want to do the same so I should be able to do a 3/4 spacer and lt285/65 18 it is for the wife doesn't want to big tir we had a jeep with 305/55/20 and seemed to search for the potholes. Do you think this will level it and give slightly more aggressive look?
With that factory wheels, you'll probably want to run spacers. But, other than that, they should fit fine with 3/4" lift.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you. I crawled and looked at the springs I have 17 front and 58 rears so it should be good probably going to get spider trap spacers thank you again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll have to start a 2 builds in 1 thread when I get mine.... that's awesome having 2

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Picked up my first "post Christmas" mod for MY JKU. I got a used OR-Fab stubby front bumper with hoop. It needs a little sanding and painting, but I'm hoping to get that done this (long) weekend.

It is also setup for fog lights (which my X doesn't currently have), so I'm going to be tackling that as well.

I'll post plenty of pictures as I go. ;)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Jeep deals are a good thing! :thumb:

Can't wait to see!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I had some time this morning, so I got one of my projects out of the way.

My JKU has been stumbling a bit on start-up and idle. It's due for a tune-up, so I've got plugs and wires here, but I also suspected that the throttle body was probably pretty dirty. Since it's a quick and easy job to clean it, I went ahead and pulled it off this morning.

As I suspected, it has never been cleaned...

After half a can of throttle body cleaner, several blue paper towels and some elbow grease, it was looking much better...

After reassembly, the Jeep fired right up. No stumbles and a smooth-as-silk idle.

Well worth the 30 minutes and $2.50 worth of throttle body cleaner!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The weather finally broke a bit (We hit 40 today!) so I decided to get some Jeep maintenance out of the way. The rear brakes on my JKU were shot and needed replaced. Since I'll be towing my boat with this Jeep this summer, and I run big heavy 35s, I bought the BrakeMotive kit that came with drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads for all four corners.

Install was a snap. Everything fit and worked as advertised. And, yes. They even label all the rotors so you don't even have to think about which way the slot is supposed to point on which corner. ;)

When I went to bed the pads, I was surprised at how much better they are than the stock setup. I did 10 "quick" stops from 45-50mph and then drove around for a while to let them cool.

The verdict? So far, so good. I'll have to drive with them a few days to really feel the difference, but they seem well work the money.

The last step for the day was to clean all the salt and brake dust off the wheels...

Not a bad day's work! :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Love the fact you have two, I do and we love them. Can you share specifics as to how you removed, cleaned this as I think I may need to do this on one of mine. Also, what other plugs, wire did you change.
Thanks.

I had some time this morning, so I got one of my projects out of the way.

My JKU has been stumbling a bit on start-up and idle. It's due for a tune-up, so I've got plugs and wires here, but I also suspected that the throttle body was probably pretty dirty. Since it's a quick and easy job to clean it, I went ahead and pulled it off this morning.

As I suspected, it has never been cleaned...

After half a can of throttle body cleaner, several blue paper towels and some elbow grease, it was looking much better...

After reassembly, the Jeep fired right up. No stumbles and a smooth-as-silk idle.

Well worth the 30 minutes and $2.50 worth of throttle body cleaner!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Love the fact you have two, I do and we love them. Can you share specifics as to how you removed, cleaned this as I think I may need to do this on one of mine. Also, what other plugs, wire did you change.
Thanks.
Sorry... I just saw your post...

Cleaning the throttlebody is an easy job. Basically, unhook your (-) battery terminal, remove the air intake tube from the throttlebody, unplug the wiring harness from the throttlebody and then remove the four bolts holding it on. Then you just clean it up and reverse the procedure to reinstall it.

I hate to link to another forum, but this is the best write-up I've seen on the throttlebody cleaning procedure (lots of pictures): JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

EDIT: I just went through your build thread and saw that both of your Jeeps are 3.6L. The link I posted is for the 3.8L, but I'm sure the process for your Jeeps will be very similar.

I got NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and DUI Livewire spark plug wires to tune-up my Jeep, but I still haven't installed them yet. Time and "real life" keep conspiring against me and my Jeep projects! ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks for the info on the throttle clean out. Just did it and it was super easy. My anvil jeep has 20k on it and it was actually cleaner than I expected. I will do the plugs and wires later as from what I read it says to wait til higher mileage. Thanks again!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
On Friday, my doctor FINALLY cleared me to resume all normal activities. I had a pretty major eye surgery done almost 3 months ago, and it seemed like the doctor didn't want me having any fun at all until my eye was healed up.

Anyway... I celebrated by doing a couple Jeep related maintenance and upgrade projects! :)

First up was to finally change the plugs and wires in my JKU. I've had the NGK Iridium IX plugs and DUI Livewires sitting in my garage for months, so I was happy to finally get them in the Jeep.

Whoever wrote in the service manual to change plugs at 100k+ miles is an idiot! My Jeep was still on the original plugs at 80k+ miles, and they were shot. The gaps were terrible! The difference in idle quality, throttle response and engine noise is quite noticeable with the new plugs and wires. But now I need to do the same thing to my wife's JKU.

And I also put in a set of Quadratec's battery terminals that have been sitting around for a while.

The new terminals will make things easier when I get around to installing my DIY sPOD, as they are setup with extra, easily accessible connection points.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I've suspected for a while that the previous owner of my JKU (or whoever he had install the RK lift) either, A. Torqued all the CA/trackbar bolts with the Jeep in the air, or, B. Didn't bother loosening and retorquing the bolts at all after installing the lift. It's hard to explain, but things just didn't feel right when driving it.

I had a set of the Rancho geometry correction brackets and a set of upgraded bolts laying around for a while and I finally got around to installing them. I used the standard upgraded Grade 8, partially threaded, 9/16" bolts for the track bar, lower control arms and the brackets, but I also got all new Grade 10.9, partially threaded metric bolts for the upper control arms and brackets. I got heavy washers and the deformed (Stover) lock nuts for all the bolts as well... I figured if I was going to do it, I might as well do it all.

I made sure to bounce it around with the tires on the ground before torqueing everything up, and all I can say is... HOLY SH*T! IT FEELS LIKE A DIFFERENT JEEP!

Seriously. I'm not kidding. It soaks up the potholes, expansion joints, driveway aprons, etc. like a champ now. It wanders less in the ruts and feels much less "flighty". It doesn't pull to the right under hard braking anymore. I don't know how else to put it. They make a BIG difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
When I was shopping for plug wires for my JKU, I wanted to get Granatelli wires based on reviews and feedback I'd been reading. Unfortunately, nobody had them in stock when I was ready to pull the trigger, so I ended up getting DUI Livewires instead. They also had really good reviews and their 0 ohm rating was the same as the Granatelli wires, so it's pretty much a wash for quality and performance.

The new wires and the plugs (NGK Iridium IX) that I put in my Jeep were such a noticeable improvement that I knew I needed to do the same thing to my wife's JKU... Her JKU has 15k miles less than mine, but after seeing the old plugs in my Jeep, there was no question that her plugs are due for replacement.

Today I pulled the trigger on new plugs and wires for her JKU. This time around the Granatelli wires were in stock and a few dollars cheaper than the Livewires, so that's what I got. I have absolutely no complaints or regrets on the DUI wires, but I'm all about trying different things. I did stick with the same NGK plugs, though.

Hopefully everything will be here tomorrow or Saturday so I can change it all out on Sunday. Nothing like a Jeep project to make your weekend complete!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
This weekend Mrs. Hooz and little Miss Hoozette went to a family wedding in Virginia Beach but, since we didn't have anyone to watch the dogs, I stayed home. They took the kiddo's car... So I got some uninterrupted time with both JKUs.

I started out working on Mrs. Hooz's Jeep. I put in a BedTred kit and an IJKP rear seat recline kit.

I was a little leery of buying the BedTred sight unseen, so I just got the front kit to start (covers everything from under the rear seat to the firewall). Let me just say that all my fears were unwarranted. The kit is perfect (fits like a glove) and the material feels very tough and should last a very long time. A rear (cargo area) kit will be coming along shortly, and then I'll have to save a bit and put it in my JKU too.

The rear seat recline kit from IJKP ($53 on eBay) was also a quality kit. Materials are first rate and they include 4 new, longer bolts for the front row of seat supports. It went in without a hitch and makes a big difference. And yes, the seats still fold flat without any issues.

Once I was done with that, I moved on to a couple projects for my JKU.

I already put Cibies, conversion harnesses and Philips Xtreme +80 bulbs in the wife's Jeep a while ago (they were supposed to go in mine, but hers is the "family vehicle", so it got preference), so I thought it was time to replace the tired, sandblasted looking headlights in my Jeep. I went with the same setup (Cibies are AWESOME, by the way).

And I decided to finally put in a Rancho high clearance steering stabilizer kit that I've had sitting on a shelf in the garage for quite a while now.

It was a good weekend! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the BedTred. I'm looking into getting this in the spring. My lab sheds like crazy and yellow lab hair loves to get embedded in the carpet. Could you comment on how it does with dog hair once you've had the chance to use it for a while?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts