Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks for the comments on the BedTred. I'm looking into getting this in the spring. My lab sheds like crazy and yellow lab hair loves to get embedded in the carpet. Could you comment on how it does with dog hair once you've had the chance to use it for a while?
That's actually why my wife wanted bedliner in her JKU... Dog hair. She owns her own dog training business and is constantly taking dogs to parks, stores, etc. to work with them. We also have four dogs of our own, so, you can imagine the hair issues. I'll let you know how it holds up and how easy it is to clean dog hair off of. Honestly, it feels just like bedliner, so it should be just as easy to clean.

Next up is some sort of easy to clean and/or dog hair resistant seat covers. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Curious how the brakemotive brakes are working out for you? Any issues?

I'm looking at these as well and wondering if you would still recommend them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had some time this morning, so I got one of my projects out of the way.

My JKU has been stumbling a bit on start-up and idle. It's due for a tune-up, so I've got plugs and wires here, but I also suspected that the throttle body was probably pretty dirty. Since it's a quick and easy job to clean it, I went ahead and pulled it off this morning.

As I suspected, it has never been cleaned...

After half a can of throttle body cleaner, several blue paper towels and some elbow grease, it was looking much better...

After reassembly, the Jeep fired right up. No stumbles and a smooth-as-silk idle.

Well worth the 30 minutes and $2.50 worth of throttle body cleaner!
Thanks for posting this. It never knew this was even a thing you could do. My throttle is starting to get a bit sluggish here at 10k miles, so I'm probably going to clean mine up this weekend.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Curious how the brakemotive brakes are working out for you? Any issues?

I'm looking at these as well and wondering if you would still recommend them.
I would definitely recommend them! I am super happy with their performance, and they seem to be wearing nice and even. No complaints at all!

When the wife's JKU needs brakes, I'll be buying the same kit for it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would definitely recommend them! I am super happy with their performance, and they seem to be wearing nice and even. No complaints at all! When the wife's JKU needs brakes, I'll be buying the same kit for it.
Awesome!! Just pulled the trigger. They will be here late next week. Can't beat the price!! I got 4 slotted rotors, 8 ceramic pads and the clips all for $171!! They were on sale today for $191 and I had a $20 off from eBay for any auto part purchase.

These look really easy to put on but any tips or advice for installing them?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Awesome!! Just pulled the trigger. They will be here late next week. Can't beat the price!! I got 4 slotted rotors, 8 ceramic pads and the clips all for $171!! They were on sale today for $191 and I had a $20 off from eBay for any auto part purchase.

These look really easy to put on but any tips or advice for installing them?
Not really. Changing brakes on a JK is pretty simple. The only thing extra I did was make sure to grease the clips and the backs of the pads. I used high temp ceramic grease made for brakes.

No squeaks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It never knew this was even a thing you could do. My throttle is starting to get a bit sluggish here at 10k miles, so I'm probably going to clean mine up this weekend.
Another thanks for the throttle body clean tip.
100k never been cleaned - shame on me

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update on the bedtred by chance? Also interested in your dog friendly seat covers. I'd like to take my dogs more, but man, the hair can drive me wild.

Awesome thread, made my 'to purchase' list a little longer!

Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Wow. It's been quite a while since I posted anything here. I've been basically just doing regular maintenance on the JKUs. Nothing fancy, no major mods or upgrades (although I did some stuff a while back and never posted any pictures, so I'll see about fixing that).

I am getting ready to do the front end on my JKU and some small upgrades on my wife's JKU, so I thought I'd post an update.

It's time for the midwesterner's "before winter" maintenance checklist. I am taking the wife's JKU in for an alignment check soon. Since I have been eyeing them for a long time now, I decided to get her a Griffin Steering Attenuator. The thing is BEEFY! I'm hoping to get it installed and the alignment done this weekend. So I'll post that update soon.

I also need to rebuild the front end on my JKU. The factory tie rod ends, draglink and ball joints are no match for 35" Toyo MTs on 20" wheels.

Initially I was looking at all sorts of aftermarket stuff, but I wanted to put the Griffin on my Jeep too. That led me to the new Griffin XD and Yeti stuff from Steer Smarts, but I just couldn't stomach that kind of cash for a rig that spends less than 10% of its life off-road. Even when it is off-road, I doubt the logging roads, pastures and hunting property I'm on would justify that kind of money... But I did want something better than stock.

I ended up ordering MOOG TREs and another Griffin for my JKU. The MOOG stuff is all metal, grease-able and beefier than stock, but it will still allow me to run the original Griffin Attentuator. It is all "factory replacement", just better. The best part is... It's a pretty inexpensive upgrade.

I ordered:

- MOOG-ES800594 - $40 - Front Outer Tie Rod End (Driver's side)
- MOOG-DS300043 - $130 - Front Outer Tie Rod End (Passenger side, comes with the actual tie rod)
- MOOG-ES800983S - $32 - Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve (figured I might as well start with all new parts)
- MOOG-ES3624 - $17 - Inner Tie Rod End (at Pitman Arm)
- MOOG-DS300005 - $51 - Outer Tie Rod End (Comes with the draglink)

I also got a new grease gun and some Valvoline Full Synthetic grease for everything (Yes. It matches the requirements for ball joints, TREs, etc.). Everything is coming from Amazon with free Prime shipping.

I'm still trying to decide on ball joints, but I'm hoping that I have it all here in time to make my Jeep next weekend's project.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Update on the bedtred by chance? Also interested in your dog friendly seat covers. I'd like to take my dogs more, but man, the hair can drive me wild.

Awesome thread, made my 'to purchase' list a little longer!

Thanks!
The BedTred is AWESOME! It cleans up so easy and it's holding up just like I would expect actual bedliner would. No regrets on that purchase at all.

We haven't done anything about seat covers yet. My wife has some simple canvas-type throw covers that she uses for transporting the pooches. Actual covers are on the list still, but they're not pressing at the moment.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts