Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family and I are heading up to MtCharleston to play in the snow on Thursday. I've been to the places along the road, and it's too busy. Is there anywhere else we can go? Maybe utilizing an unpaved road?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
The family and I are heading up to MtCharleston to play in the snow on Thursday. I've been to the places along the road, and it's too busy. Is there anywhere else we can go? Maybe utilizing an unpaved road?
I wouldn't go alone but if your wanting to do some trails, you can do Wheeler Pass. We went this past weekend and ended up turning around before we got to the pass, but there was a lot of snow up there. I think that there may be a group brewing for Friday if you can wait.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Going up mount Charleston by the chains required pull over section there is a gravel road to your left, take that and you'll find some un touched places without people. Road is safe and maintained. Mostly gravel with some rocky sections.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Going up mount Charleston by the chains required pull over section there is a gravel road to your left, take that and you'll find some un touched places without people. Road is safe and maintained. Mostly gravel with some rocky sections.
They blocked that road off with the gate there.

However if you know where one of the roads that come out earlier way before the chain place you can get there from the back way. I think it has a for sale sign on the corner of the road I'm talking about. I'm not too sure there would be too much snow back there as the only road I knew that went higher up the mountain has been buried when they made the fire break, and most of that area is bare and burned from the fire.

image-3843913361.jpg

Here's the road. I know it don't help much but you'll see it if you scan the road.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
They blocked that road off with the gate there.

However if you know where one of the roads that come out earlier way before the chain place you can get there from the back way. I think it has a for sale sign on the corner of the road I'm talking about. I'm not too sure there would be too much snow back there as the only road I knew that went higher up the mountain has been buried when they made the fire break, and most of that area is bare and burned from the fire.

View attachment 547898

Here's the road. I know it don't help much but you'll see it if you scan the road.
Is this the trail up to Griffith peak trail head?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't go alone but if your wanting to do some trails, you can do Wheeler Pass. We went this past weekend and ended up turning around before we got to the pass, but there was a lot of snow up there. I think that there may be a group brewing for Friday if you can wait.
You guys turned around When you did the Wheeler Pass run??

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
You guys turned around When you did the Wheeler Pass run??
Sadly, yes! We got caught behind a group that made it up but glazed the trail to a point where a few of us were struggling with forward motion, it was more the 2 doors that seemed to be having trouble, except Jokerchief, he made it to the top. It was still a great day in the snow. Got a lot of exercise with a shovel that day

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys! I might give that a try. I've been down that way before. We will check it out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is this the trail up to Griffith peak trail head?
I'm not sure if it is. I know that one trail went to a lake or a lagoon. And another was a jeep trail that would take you up so far and the rest of the trail was a hike to the top. I'm not sure what the top was called. It might of been called that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sadly, yes! We got caught behind a group that made it up but glazed the trail to a point where a few of us were struggling with forward motion, it was more the 2 doors that seemed to be having trouble, except Jokerchief, he made it to the top. It was still a great day in the snow. Got a lot of exercise with a shovel that day
Hell yeah we did. And here I thought to myself I wasn't going to bring them, someone else will.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Hell yeah we did. And here I thought to myself I wasn't going to bring them, someone else will.
It's a good thing you brought real shovels I only had plastic snow shovels which wouldn't have worked very well on the hard pack and ice. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts