Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am looking at both of these tires in the 255/75/17 size.
They are going on my stock rims.
Called and nobody has in stock, so must be shipped in.
im guessing It would be an 80/20 for on/off road.
Is an extra 300.00 worth it for the MT/r?
Are they going to be louder than the duratracs?

TIA

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you are going to be 80/20 go with the duratracs, they are a great offroad tire but also a great onroad tire. The MT/r's are designed basically for off road, the ride will be not as smooth with them and they will be louder then the duratracs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you are offroading- the MTRs are tougher. I like them and we do a lot of highway to get to the offroading at times. Louder than ATs and probably louder than the DTs. I think the E-rated DTs may have a 3-ply sidewall and the sidewalls are soft so they will not be harsh like most E-rated tires. I am considering the DTs for my 4Runner- either the DTs or the Toyo AT2s. I am sticking with the MTRs on the JK for now. When they wear out, I will consider the DTs but in the 3-ply version and if they are not harsher/stiffer than the C-rated MTRs I have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just got the MTR's and been driving the jeep top and doors off since and I don't think they are loud at all. Not sure about the DT's. Just my experience.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Gotta agree with the replies thus far. I've had first the mt/r's and then the Duratracs back to back to back/back and forth on my TJ, H2 & H3. The kevlars are louder for sure, heavier and more difficult to balance. I was, as they say, "anal" with the balancing issue. For mostly pavement, the Duratracs hands down. On my 2014 new JK I'm going with the Duratracs. They are cheaper- and I as well will be 95/% pavement. The kevlars look meaner though for sure! I had 37" and 35" kevlars, and 35" duras. Both great tires for sure! Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate the input. I am looking to order on Monday and am looking at the duratec I looked at some on a job that I thought looked great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
unevan

This weekend it was time to replace the MT/R Kevlar tires and I went with the Duratrac. I do a lot of road trips and the biggest problem I had with the kevlars is that rotating every 3000 miles still did not give me even tread wear.

With every tire I've had in the past I could rotate every 5000 miles and not have problems. With the kevlars after about 20,000 miles one tire had to become a perm. spare and the others just all sorts of uneven wear.

I don't have any experience with the Duratrac but so far I like the way they look and the ride. Just a slight road-hum from the road (quieter than the MT).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
RockFodder: What size and rating MTR? What size and rating DuraTrac did you go with? Also, tell us a bit about your Jeep- 2 door, 4 door, etc. How do you compare the ride quality and what psi were/are you running? Is one softer-feeling than the other?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recall the size of the MT... it was a replacement for the stock size on a 2008 Rubicon 2 door. The DuraTracs are on a 4 door Rubicon that that I just got and upgraded to the DuraTrac 285/70/17 mounted on MB TKO 17x8.5 5-127 18MTB. It places the tire just on the edge of the fender and no rubbing so far.

The factory tires and wheels on the 4 door went to the 2 door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ride with the MT was hard and there was a lot of wobble at random speeds. It was probably caused by either balancing or alignment, but it was frequent. I ran at 32-35 PSI. I didn't notice the ride change much when they were new. Rotated every 3,000-5,000 miles. I would say the ride is comparable to the Duratrac when new. Once the tires wear down a bit the ride gets uneven real fast.

On the plus side... the idea of Kevlar tires still makes me smile and I enjoyed having them on the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
MTRs are loud, don't ride that well on pavement, and are nearly impossible to balance. If you must have an MT, go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm on my 2nd set of duratracs on my 2nd Jeep, and doubt I would consider any other tire...I like them that much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got new shoes and brakes over the last 2 days.
Really liking the duratracs, haven't noticed the sound being any louder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
MTRs are loud, don't ride that well on pavement, and are nearly impossible to balance. If you must have an MT, go with the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm on my 2nd set of duratracs on my 2nd Jeep, and doubt I would consider any other tire...I like them that much.
Same here. On a trip through some very rocky, shale and rough country this past weekend I was expecting to have some sidewall damage on the DTs. We were aired down to 18 psi and badly damaged the center hub of one wheel scraped the sides of another but the tires performed flawlessly. Witnessed several tire changes on other rigs though.

We have replaced three of them but it was mesquite thorns and one 16 penny nail through the sidewall that caused those.

My hope is they make them in 35s before ours are worn out.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hard to beat MT/Rs on rocks, it's where they excel. I use my Duratrac on rock also and they have done very well with the E rated sidewall. If you want a great all around tire get Duratracs.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've run both and prefer the MTRs. Doesn't hurt that I popped two duratracs on back to back wheeling trips. The mtrs are tough to beat, and they are much quieter than you'd think. Does take an act of god to get them properly balanced though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
^^ I wish they made the DT in a 35x12.50r15.
At that size you would finally have to install that lift that's been collecting dust. :)

I went with the 325/65/18 Duratracs and on the jeep they are 34 1/4 and 12.50 wide. I typically air down from 12-18 pounds and have skinned the tires several times but they keep going on strong after 20k+ miles. My next set will definitely be DT's again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts