Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace my worn Goodyear MTR Kevlars with something different. The two tires Im looking at are the MTZ and STT PRO's. Like the look of both and saw good reviews on them as well. What are your thoughts? Size is 35x12.5x15's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Both are good tires. Without knowing what, where and how you wheel its hard to make any kind of specific recommendation, but generally speaking you would probably be happy with either one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are good tires. Without knowing what, where and how you wheel its hard to make any kind of specific recommendation, but generally speaking you would probably be happy with either one.

The rig they will be going on is inthe sig. Main trails are Rubicon, Fordyce, Barrett lake, Hollister Hills. Jeep will see alot of street use and always driven to the trail. So lots of rock...some snow...mild mud...plenty street use.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I went with the STT when I replaced my MTR's. Both are good tires. Didn't need a lot of weight to balance unlike the replaced set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
To clarify the two you are picking from are good tires...i didn't like the MTR's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I currently have a set of Mickey Thompson's on my LJ and Cooper ST/Maxx on another rig. I like both tires on and off road.

I would have difficulty choosing between the MTZ and STT Pro if I had to buy a set of tires today. I haven't been using the MTZs as long as the Coopers but they may turn out to be my preference between the two. Time will tell.

Both tires are made by Cooper, both are E load rated, and both have 3-ply sidewalls. However, my research suggests that the plys in the Coopers have a greater thread count and are somewhat thicker, evidenced in part by the greater weight. While this might result in greater load carrying capability and damage protection, it makes for a stiffer sidewall which can be a disadvantage in certain situations on a relatively lightweight jeep.

My seat of the pants impression is that the sidewalls on my Mickey Thompson's are more compliant going over rocks at low trail pressures than my Coopers at the same pressures.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responses. With the 15" wheel both of the tires are rated C load rated and have the 3 ply sidewalls. Its a tough choice! Digging both of them lol.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just picked up a set of the MT-ATZ for son's tj. Went with the AT to "sell" the purchase to the cfo/mom but he loves the ride and it's one of the more aggressive at treads I have seen.

Also had $100 set off four special so it was a win/win/win. Set of rims and tires for $1000-

As noted already I don't think you could go wrong with either pick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts