Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I buried by JKU in the mud and now I have a loud squeaking sound that correlates with RPM. I am pretty sure it comes from the wheels in the belt system. Is it possible that mud/dirt got in there and is making the sound? Will some grease help or do I need to detail the engine? The sound is bad and I hate hearing it over my exhaust system! Just want to get a few ideas on what it might be and what I can do to fix it.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I buried by JKU in the mud and now I have a loud squeaking sound that correlates with RPM. I am pretty sure it comes from the wheels in the belt system. Is it possible that mud/dirt got in there and is making the sound? Will some grease help or do I need to detail the engine? The sound is bad and I hate hearing it over my exhaust system! Just want to get a few ideas on what it might be and what I can do to fix it.
Define buried. How deep? Did you wash your Jeep after?

IMO - mud is the absolute worst thing for any vehicle and I avoid it at all costs.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
With the engine running, and careful not to stick your hose in the air intake. Spray the engine down getting the pulleys pretty good. Just be careful keeping in mind the engine is running. Don't get caught up in the belt or fan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buried up to axels but nothing crazy. Some mud did come off of my spinning wheels into the engine bay which is what I believe was the cause of the mystery squeak.

If I carefully hose down the pulleys in the belt system to I need to mask anything off? Do I need to grease anything after?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Buried up to axels but nothing crazy. Some mud did come off of my spinning wheels into the engine bay which is what I believe was the cause of the mystery squeak.

If I carefully hose down the pulleys in the belt system to I need to mask anything off? Do I need to grease anything after?
Hose away.

Does the sound get worse or go away when the A/C compressor is running?

Maybe pull the belt and rotate the pulleys by hand and see if you can feel which one is causing the noise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may very well be louder when AC is running. I will have to test this. What would I be doing if it is the compressor? Would it be caused by dirt and mud or unrelated?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
You mentioned the squeak mirrors your RPMs, but something else to check is your axle u-joints, rotors/calipers, DS u-joints. They can get mud in them and squeak. I power wash mine and the complete undercarriage of my jeep when I happen to encounter any mud (which I avoid like the plague) as we have red clay here which is almost impossible to remove all of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts