Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 Wrangler 2 door. It has stained and faded bumpers. For the life of me, I can't get the mud stains off. I have tried regular soap and water with a brush, simple green, as well as other generic degreasers, magic erasers, 303 aerospace protectant, and refinish restorer. None of them will take the mud stains off. Both the 303 and the refinish restorer remove the fading in their own way, but the mud stains remain. It looks horrible. I can darken it, but it is all spotted with brown. I am from Oklahoma, and we have red clay, but I can't imagine that it would be that different. The one thing I haven't tried is the blowtorch thing. I am trying to avoid taking my fenders off. The other option is to paint or bed line them. I am trying to avoid this. I just feel like it is a point of no return. Does anyone have any solutions I haven't tried? I am not looking for something to restore trim, I have 303 and refinish restorer both of which are superb at that, I am looking for a way to remove the mud stains. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Try a high pressure power washer.. if that plus 303 or Black To Black can't do the job, then it's time for some LineX/Bedliner.. That's easier and will give you better results than the heatgun treatment, which may not even work for a stain.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wd40 on a rag. Rub a little
Cameron

·
Registered
891 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol. The isopropyl type you buy at the drug store. Make sure it's 90% version and not the watered down 70 or even 50%. Even removed excess wax from the flares easily.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Peanut butter, I'm not joking. I buy cheap peanut butter at the store just to use on the jeep. Isopropyl alcohol works well too, as stated above.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks from me too. I bought a set of Sahara running boards off CL for my Sis-In -law and could not get the mud stains off. Tried the power wash and it did nothing. I will tell her about the Alcohol and PN butter. The stuff you learn hanging around this site.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Interesting ideas. I plan to try the WD40 and the alcohol. If those don't work I might try the peanut butter, but only if the neighbors aren't outside watching :).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I did the peanut butter on my fenders and it looked great. Then I came out to the garage and caught my dog licking my fenders. The last thing I need is a hungry border collie trying to eat my fenders. Back to Black works well but requires a little elbow grease. WD40 also works well, but if you accidentally use to much, it makes it greasy. I ended up masking off my body and bedlining my fenders and bumper. It's easier to do that in the long run.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Bro-in-law painted his bumpers with a paint especially made for plastic bumpers and it peeled after 6 mon. I wonder if the bed liner will last any longer.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
The Bro-in-law painted his bumpers with a paint especially made for plastic bumpers and it peeled after 6 mon. I wonder if the bed liner will last any longer.
I painted mine and they lasted 2 years before showing signs of chipping. Like any other paint job, the integrity comes down to prep. I spent a lot of time cleaning and prepping mine and that's what attribute the longevity to. It's actually time for another coat, or replacement flares. We'll see what the budget allows for, but I'm thinking it's time for more Rustoleum for plastics!

-Ryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I tried the peanut butter, rubbing alcohol, and WD-40. I had already tried a power washer, sorry I forgot to put that in the original post. The peanut butter is the only thing that seems to have made a dent in the stain at all. And I really put some elbow grease into it. I'm not sure how practical it would be to scrub it all that hard. And that didn't even take it all off, but I can tell where I rubbed the peanut butter at least. I have been washing it off with soap and water after anything I do to make sure that an oil based product isn't making it look darker and skewing my perception.
I think the only suggestion I have yet to try is the mothers back to black. I have used it in the past and have never been impressed with it at all. But that was to darken trim not remove stains. Can you guys verify that it actually removed stains before I go dump more money into this project needlessly? Like I said, I have refinish restorer to darken the trim, so I'm just looking for stain removal. I can't believe nothing so far has taken it off. I can't remember if I mentioned it originally, but I tried amazing roll-off as well.
Regarding the bedliner, I'm assuming raptor liner is the way to go? I'm not gonna get them line-xed. I would rather spend that kind of money on some new ones.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try Vinlyx. I use it on my non painted fenders and it does a great job of removing stains and really makes them look brand new again.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I know I am not helping but take this as a different perspective. Its a JEEP. Leave it alone.

I know that sounds bad and you probably want it looking new. If thats the case check Craigslist in your area and get someones take offs. They are usually pretty cheap. Where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Oklahoma City. I'll have to check Craigslist. I never thought of buying someone's take offs.
I totally understand what you are saying about it being a jeep, but when it's clean I want it to look clean. It's all black, so the fenders being stained and faded really sticks out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts