Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sow what's the technique to go through mud?

.... fast in 4H? Slow in 4Lo?

I have duratracs on a otherwise stock Jeep

·
Registered
823 Posts
I use 4-Lo and drive at a steady moderate pace and try to keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear. The object is not to let any tire start to spin, then you lose traction and momentum and before you know it your stuck. If there are ruts make sure that your diff. can clear the center bump. Also, just because a muddy area is dry, doesnt mean its not muddy. I learned this the hard way when I drove over an area that appeared dry and caked, but it was only a thin layer and collapsed under my Jeep, putting both my left side tires into almost 3 feet of mud. This is the thick sloppy stuff by the way, not the muddy water some people call mud. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
325 Posts
another factor: are you alone?

when I am alone, I creep in slowly so I can back out.

Now when I have other rigs along, hit it with some speed in 4 hi, not talking 45 mph, but at least 2nd gear.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I also go in slow, that way if it feels overwhelming I can hammer it and back out on my own.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I go in slow and in 4lo, so I can back it out like others have said. If you start to spin, turn your wheel slightly from side to side. It helps you get a little more traction.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My '10 is so fast, it floats over mud. Good question, though, but I wonder if there's any more damage/wear likely at certain speeds. Specifically, will more mud get caked into hard/impossible to reach areas?

S

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. After getting myself stuck while mudding by myself... I was getting the itch to go back out. I'm just unsure about the technique. I got stuck by going slow, and the diff got hung up on the high part between the ruts as I sunk into the mud... it was a shameful 2 mile walk home for help

·
Registered
202 Posts
bhawkdrvr said:
Thanks for the advice. After getting myself stuck while mudding by myself... I was getting the itch to go back out. I'm just unsure about the technique. I got stuck by going slow, and the diff got hung up on the high part between the ruts as I sunk into the mud... it was a shameful 2 mile walk home for help
Ah we've all taken that walk of shame, or at least I have. I had someone stop and say they were gonna come back and help and I waited for 3 hrs like a dope. :bangshead:

Everyone gets stuck, I've been out with guys that have 4in lifts and 35's so something crazy and get high and centered. I think it's almost a right if passage lol. You'll conquer it soon

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I use to play in the mud many years ago I put helium in the tires and just floated across it. It just depends how deep and how far you have to go and who is with you and how bad you want it stuck.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Ah we've all taken that walk of shame, or at least I have. I had someone stop and say they were gonna come back and help and I waited for 3 hrs like a dope. :bangshead:
My best was 33 miles up in the mountains outside of Colorado Springs back in high school... had we not been on our way to a campground and had packs/supplies, that could have been so much worse. Camped for the night and hiked 14 hours out the next day :nonono:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
It all depends, are you just crossing a muddy spot or are you playing in it? If you are just going through something muddy try to stay on the high side of things so and avoid deep ruts.

If you are out messing around and playing in the mud......... Balls to the wall baby!!!! that's how I see people do it at least. I stopped playing in the mud a few years back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My '10 is so fast, it floats over mud. Good question, though, but I wonder if there's any more damage/wear likely at certain speeds. Specifically, will more mud get caked into hard/impossible to reach areas?

S
The tops of surrounding trees? :hide:

:D
There is definitely a difference between a "muddy trail" and "mudding". Muddy/wet trails... please be mindful not to cause rutting or splashing mud all over. Travel only through mud and water fast enough to get through without getting stuck. But get dirty. Going through versus around helps to keep the surrounding vegetation in good condition.

"Mudding" should only be done in an approved, managed location with proper precautions (like sediment control, recovery mechanism, and rainsuits for bystanders). Or... in general, on privately-managed lands with permission.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use 4-Lo and drive at a steady moderate pace and try to keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear. The object is not to let any tire start to spin, then you lose traction and momentum and before you know it your stuck. If there are ruts make sure that your diff. can clear the center bump. Also, just because a muddy area is dry, doesnt mean its not muddy. I learned this the hard way when I drove over an area that appeared dry and caked, but it was only a thin layer and collapsed under my Jeep, putting both my left side tires into almost 3 feet of mud. This is the thick sloppy stuff by the way, not the muddy water some people call mud. Good luck! :thumb:
Pretty solid advice here.
:thumb:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Fermin94 said:
Why is this? I hear of a lot of people that stop playing in the mud. Did it just stop getting fun?
That and it is rough on your equipment. I got tired of coming home covered in mud all the time and having it all inside of my 4x4's. The main thing is that I just bored with it because its not as challenging and fun as trail riding. The whole put it on the floor and see if you can make it through before something gives out on you got old to me.

There are a lot of ORVP's close to where I live and most of them are at least 80% mudding. The only time i go to them anymore is if I ride along with someone or borrower a 4wheeler for the weekend.

One thing that I have learned that I didn't expected was that you meet totally different people at parks that are trail riding/rock crawling then you do at the mud parks. I enjoy being around the trail riders myself.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
That and it is rough on your equipment. I got tired of coming home covered in mud all the time and having it all inside of my 4x4's. The main thing is that I just bored with it because its not as challenging and fun as trail riding. The whole put it on the floor and see if you can make it through before something gives out on you got old to me.

There are a lot of ORVP's close to where I live and most of them are at least 80% mudding. The only time i go to them anymore is if I ride along with someone or borrower a 4wheeler for the weekend.

One thing that I have learned that I didn't expected was that you meet totally different people at parks that are trail riding/rock crawling then you do at the mud parks. I enjoy being around the trail riders myself.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
lol i learned to keep the wheel straight unless started spinning and be easy with it.....id rather get pulled out than looked like the cool kid and have something broke lol so dont give it hell

·
Registered
201 Posts
First I go brum brum brum bruuuuuuuuum, den BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where I live we have trails which I enjoy, but there are a couple of sections with big deep mud pools. I agree with most of you, that muddin' is fun until you have to wash it all out. I honestly don't like it, but have to deal with it on my trails.
Thanks for the solid advice guys... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts