Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing teraflex leveling kit and goodyear duratrac 285/70/17. Went out and had a little fun in my first real mudding ever. Wife took some pics...enjoy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Newb question warning: The water was only 6-8" deep, what concerns should I have when doing this other than the obvious control of the vehicle? 2013 JK auto.
your jeep can ingest water while "splashing" even though it's more rare than gulping down water when fording deeper water

(i've only read about it happening, never seen it first hand myself, so there's that)

edit, take a look at your air filter and see if it's peppered with a similar color as the outside

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your jeep can ingest water while "splashing" even though it's more rare than gulping down water when fording deeper water

(i've only read about it happening, never seen it first hand myself, so there's that)

edit, take a look at your air filter and see if it's peppered with a similar color as the outside

Checked out the filter, its spotless. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
666 Posts
good deal. enjoy.

(i'm paranoid about sucking in water, so I normally roll slow, hence the name)

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Nice action shots...couple of suggestions from a "big chicken"...I let one or 2 other people go first through the water, mud or whatever.....than I KNOW HOW DEEP it is...but also know it can get deeper if they are just "missing" the hole. This has saved me more than a couple times and I helped pull someone else out...and the other thing...and to each their own...but I NEVER wheel alone...but it sure looked like fun!!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
With the top forward facing airbox I wouldn't be concerned about ingesting mud/water. ...it's more the mud you can probably now see on the inside of your hood. Bits of crud will get into your alternator, pulleys, fan motor, and all sorts of crevices. Shouldn't cause an immediate issue but will decrease the lifespan of many parts.

BTW, this never stopped me from tooling around...

On edit, having watched that hydrolock video, I suppose water being projected forward could splash straight back down our forward facing intake.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the top forward facing airbox I wouldn't be concerned about ingesting mud/water. ...it's more the mud you can probably now see on the inside of your hood. Bits of crud will get into your alternator, pulleys, fan motor, and all sorts of crevices. Shouldn't cause an immediate issue but will decrease the lifespan of many parts.

BTW, this never stopped me from tooling around...

On edit, having watched that hydrolock video, I suppose water being projected forward could splash straight back down our forward facing intake.

Does hosing off the motor afterwards negate this?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Oh come on, its a muddy road. its not going to get deep. it even has a stop sign!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Does hosing off the motor afterwards negate this?
It helps but doesn't negate this. Cleaning out the alternator is good to do, but you already drove home with it coated in mud so in theory it would have done damage. I wouldn't worry too much though. If you like mud, you should bomb it, but you should look into a snorkel: if not nothing else, for the cool factor

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cool pics! Looks like fun. Don't be scared off from mud. Your Jeep will be just fine. Have fun cleaning her up though lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts