Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my jeep is a 95' YJ and I know how to drive it on the road. But tomorrow I'm taking it off the road and into the mud! I was wondering how exactly do I go mudding on a stick?! Like do I shift? Stay at first? 4 hi 4 low. And it's a 3.5 inch lift with 33 12.5 inch tires. Please all the advise and even better a step by step would be awesome thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I almost always stay in 1st gear in my five speed while off roading. In 4LO I already have so much torque I never need to shift really. But if you need to shift - your instincts will take over.

Hope this helped! Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
177 Posts
are you in a 4 or 6 cylinder ? i like to use 4 hi in the mud because you can run a higher rpm and mash it if you have to 4 lo is more fore if you get stuck or hill climbing i run 1st and 2nd usually and im in a 6 cylinder all my buddies have 4 cylinders and they always use 2nd

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I always get water and dirt in the tranny through the shift tower when mudding or water crossing. I don't mud anymore because of it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you in a 4 or 6 cylinder ? i like to use 4 hi in the mud because you can run a higher rpm and mash it if you have to 4 lo is more fore if you get stuck or hill climbing i run 1st and 2nd usually and im in a 6 cylinder all my buddies have 4 cylinders and they always use 2nd
4 cylinder. So you think I should go 2nd ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
try 1st and 2nd youll know when you and if you need to shift like stated above have fun your jeep will tell you what it wants you to do i have a buddy in a 4 cylinder ive seen him get to 4th in a mud hole its all about how much you like to tare your jeep up just have fun and be careful muddin is a good way to tare stuff up

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
i have found my rig,2.5 5 speed will go anywhere in 4 low and 3rd running 33s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts