Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone give me some more information on the jeep wrangler factory lockers? Is there a in-expensive kit to be able to turn them off and on when you want to?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum...!

some TJs have an automatic limited slip rear trac-loc.

only the TJ rubicons have two manual lockers that you can turn on and of whenever you want (in 4L).

no other lockers are in stock TJs. but you can install some other lockers if you want. there are many many different lockers on the market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, could you point me in a direction to buy these lockers? i want to be able to turn them on when i want to... but i dont want to spen an massive amount of $$

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
If you have a Rubicon, there is a work around on the lockers so that you can use them when ever you want, but I can't find the article that shows you how to right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is my jeep and the front driver tire would not turn untill i got down there with a shovel...
p.s.. its a 2002

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
in the front i would install a cheap automatic lunchbox locker like the powertrax lockright or the aussie locker. the aussie costs only about 230 $ and is much easier to install than a manual locker. you will not notice these automatic front lockers. only a silent clicking on the road. off the road it will be there when you need it.
manual lockers are a bit better off the road, but much more expensive (the ARB air locker costs about 900$ + an ARB compressor).
i would buy two ARBs if there would enough money. that´s why i decided to buy two aussie lockers this summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
now if i purchased this locker would it always be engaged? how does it work? if it does always stay engaged would this affect my on road driving? b/c i dont take it out mudding as much as i do driving on regualr roads, but when i go mudding i want it to preform well.

and i just read this... could someone break this down into idiot terms for me??

"""Under no circumstances should the Aussie Locker be installed in the front of a full- time 4 wheel drive vehicle.
To prevent damage to the drive line no four wheel drive vehicle should be driven on the highway with the front hubs locked and the 4 wheel drive engaged. The Aussie Locker in the front differential of a 4 wheel drive vehicle (excepting full-time 4WD), properly equipped and installed, provides dramatic off road traction and very good on-highway handling. """

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
You TJ doesn't have FULL TIME 4WD, its selectible from 2WD into 4WD, so it would be fine.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
on the road you should not use 4H or 4L with an automatic locker. because it would lock in every courve. that would cause a very dangerous on road handling.
if you drive in 2H you will not notice the aussie. nothing will change. you will only hear a "click" from the locker in slow curves.
a friend has an aussie in the front and rear of his XJ with manual transmission. and there is no problem on the road.
only if i press the pedal a bit too much i notice that there is a locker in the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok so basicaly if i bought the lockers for the front and the rear i will have no problem while on the road and when im off road in 4h or low, the lockers will engage and i will have true four wheel drive.. right?

im feel soo dumb but thank you guys for baring with me!! i was doing some more reading, and i only see the front lockers... now i shouldnt have to worrie about the rear tires? just the front ones?

btw- im not sure what locker i need.. i see there is different ones to choose from for different axles... my jeep is a 2002 tj sport.... what kind of axle do i have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i see this locker, would this one work?
For Dana 30, 35 and 44 Axles as well as AMC 20, Toyota 8", 8-3/4" and IFS.

what dana do i have?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
in the front you have a Dana30... in the rear, you have to get under and look at it. If it has a rubber fill plug its a model 35, if its a metal fill plug its a model 44.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
you will feel a difference w/ a locker in the rear, it may lock up on turns and you will have to either slip the clutch or power threw, i would suggest, just a front locker, becasue in my expierinece it is usually the front that spins

i would get a front one and wheel it likethtat for a while, and if you find your still getting stuck either buy a rear locker, or get a winch, personally i would go with a winch becasue it will get you out and it will not decrease the on road ability of the truck

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
that´s the same way i will do it.
first a front aussie and then if i still get stuck i will buy a rear aussie. i still have a winch (it´s just ordered and will be installed before i buy the front ausssie).

an aussie in the rear is ok in my buddys XJ.
BUT:
if it´s raining or snowing you have to take care. without a locker only one wheel on the rear will spin if you push the pedal a bit too much. that´s no problem. with a locker both rear wheels will spin and then you loose control very fast.
you will get used to that in a few days. but if it´s raining i wouldn´t give a rear aussie locked jeep to a person that doesn´t have experiences with that.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
just to jump in here with my own curiousity, having an aussie up front wouldn't affect the driving capability on road unless in 4WD. this may be a really stupid ? but it will only lock when put into 4WD correct, if you use it on the road... say... if it was snowing or really bad conditions would it be ok to use?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
i was told that it only locks if there is some torque at the front driveshaft (only in 4wd). so it doesn´t matter if the road is dry or slippy.
but i don´t know what will happen if you drive slowly with 4H when there is snow or ice on the road. i think that it will lock then in curves. that wil give a bigger turning radius. i wouldn´t drive very fast with 4H on the road...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got done talking with my mom`s neighbor and he`s realy big into off raoding... he said he wouldnt recomend doing the front lockers without the rear lockers b/c then youll take the chance of tearing shit up ie"rear drive shaft parts"... now how much romping would you actualy have to do to tear stuff up on your rear end with just factory parts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts