Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made a profile after lurking and reading all the good info on questions I have had in the past. Hope to contribute when and where I can moving forward.

I do however need help with a current problem. I just spent most of last night installing a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper and tire swing out on my 92 YJ. After knucklebusting for five or six hours, everything looked great except the swing out will not close all the way because it hits the lower tailgate hinge. The YJ model hinge sticks out an inch or more. Has anyone else come across this or have any suggestions? Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Was there any room for the bumper to move away from the body before tightening all the bolts down? I have that bumper/carrier and it looks like it's not as close to the body as yours is there is about 1/4 inch gap from the hinges on mine or maybe the holes on the bumper are a little bit off and may need some drilling I also have my bolts facing the other direction to keep them away from the body where does it contact the hinge??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It contacts the hinge just past the bolts, so reversing the bolts won't help. I suppose I could put a spacer between the bumper and the crossmember in order to push it away from the body a little. Problem is I had to drill a hole in the frame for the side support plates on the bumper. Your bumper seems to sit lower than mine as well. Do you have a body lift on yours? Another option I considered is changing my hinges out with hinges off of a TJ model, because they are flatter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts