Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm posting this because I'd like some real opinions from newer JK owners. I've done a lot of searches and I always get threads based on people with older jeeps at least I believe them to be older jeeps. I also know a lot of specialize items will depend on where/what you are wheeling in. But I mean basic stuff everyone should have with them.
Like I have a masterpull m3000 kit with 20ft of snatch line and a 10ft tree saver/extention four "D" rings. I've added leather gloves a 2 "C"cell maglite, a survial knife and a hand ax in the masterpull bag. I also have another bag currently full of hand tools (metric wrenchs and sockets, screw drivers, pliers and all the other stuff) but how much of the hand tools are really necessary? I'm not looking for a survialist list just a "I'm going out wheeling for a while" list.

·
2.5L>4.0L
1,493 Posts
Water!!!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Back on topic...one good thing to have (though not cheap) is a portable air compressor in case you air down, or throw a bead on the trail.

Doesn't have to be an integrated Viair or anything, just a portable unit you can run off the Jeep's aux power.

On a similar note, if you're gonna be wheeling where there's no cell coverage, a CB radio might come in handy. Or something like this:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi-Lift Jack and brain.

Leave ego at home FTW.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
One of these is a must however many people leave it at home.

·
Registered
187 Posts
And on topic:
Shovel
Fire extinguisher
BFH
I was debating the fire extinguisher. How many people are really putting out fires unless we are talking about a highly modified rig doing fairly extreme wheeling or an old a$$ Jeep that should probably be burned anyway? Unknowing noob asking.

Make sure your shovel is not some tiny folding junk. Get a real one even if it's short or else you will be digging with your hands after you snap it.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
I was debating the fire extinguisher. How many people are really putting out fires unless we are talking about a highly modified rig doing fairly extreme wheeling or an old a$$ Jeep that should probably be burned anyway? Unknowing noob asking.

Make sure your shovel is not some tiny folding junk. Get a real one even if it's short or else you will be digging with your hands after you snap it.
You qualify for my statement above.

Tools are not taken on the trail because you expect something to happen.

They are for IF they happen. A brand new JKU can burst into flames in the mall parking lot or the trail. Fire extinguishers are required on most trails and by most clubs.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Depending on where you wheel. Up here in the PNW, it's a required item on the trail during the dry season, as well as a spark arrester/muffler. And yes, they do check a group if you are stopped on the trail.

What would you do if you got 'stuck' and could not make it out? If the weather turned bad?

Recovery bag:

2 30ft 3" straps
1 6ft 3" tree strap
4 shackles
2 snatch blocks
come along
gloves.
Duct tape.

Ditty box:
Paper maps of trails I frequent.
ratchet straps.
tire deflator and tire press guage.
Water bottles.
toilet paper.
Winch remote.
Another tub:
2 jackets
Wool blanket
rain gear
pair of pants
wool hats
Granola bars.

Full tool box.

Mounted in rig:

Fire extinguisher
Flashlight
CB Radio
First Aid kit.
Large hunting knife.
GPS.

And then there's always a tub of sandwiches/chips/water brought along.

At some point in the last 365 days I have used every bit of it at least twice.

Most folks hit a trail and go home at the end of the day. We do that as well. But, on occasion, Murphy shows up and his law is engaged.

Weather turned bad. Spotter slipped and broke his right wrist. And his Jeep was a stick.

Ace bandages and duct tape secured his arm, someone else with a passenger drove him out and the passenger drove the other rig.

The 'Be Prepared' thing comes to mind. Obviously it can go overboard. So, first off, don't wheel alone....and the rest can be debated.

If you come to a dead stop in the middle of the woods and have to sit for a while, what would you/passengers need?

And on the 3 or 4 day trips, we take jerry cans. 1 fuel and 1 water. Add soda cans and bailing wire....(another Murphy thing...)

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
tire repair kit, starter fluid and matches. Spare serpentine belt and tools to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
RoobyRoo said:

Not just the rig catching on fire but the trail itself. Live in a dry area and a hot engine/exhaust sitting on dry brush for too long w some good wind. Not good. (has never happend yet, but have come close and blackened some stuff)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nwbronco's list is pretty good. Add a compressor and a 5gal gas can as well a a hatchet/ chainsaw and you should be more than good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back on topic...one good thing to have (though not cheap) is a portable air compressor in case you air down, or throw a bead on the trail.

Doesn't have to be an integrated Viair or anything, just a portable unit you can run off the Jeep's aux power.

On a similar note, if you're gonna be wheeling where there's no cell coverage, a CB radio might come in handy. Or something like this:

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE
I've been using one of these, it fits perfectly under the middle of the back seat in the 4dr.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L9AD2U/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

You can find them under a dozen names... Great little compressors...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts