Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do I put a hard top onto the jeep that had a soft top?
what are my options for doors? do I have to get full doors now? can I keep the steel lowers and just get uppers.. or am I forced to get the full doors when I get the hard top?
my old rag top is unsewing and tearing at highway speeds, and any contact tears it; the windows zippers are unfastening on their own..
inside is covered with dust... hate to see what the rain does with this situation.
Hope I find out quickly I am borrowing the money to pop a hard top onto it asap.
dan kennison

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
youre in louisiana and want a hard top? whats wrong with you? hahaha just kidding.
yes you can use the lower doors with the hard top, you just have to get sliders from say bestop. i would try to find full doors though. yes you can put a hard top on a jeep that had a soft top. you just take the bows off. and the door frames off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would think a replacement soft top would be cheaper than a hard top plus doors.
This.

Your task list is simple:

1) Order the Bestop Replace-A-Top from your favorite retailer
2) Install it in your driveway (takes less than an hour)
3) Enjoy your new weatherproof Jeep.

I've done this on my last two Jeeps. It really is easy, and the result looks... well, brand new. :thumb:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
X2 with Sherpa, I recommend a Sailcloth Replace-A-Top which is quieter and slightly heavier than what came on your '97 when it was new.

Door-wise, you can use your present doors with either style top.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Gotta agree with the other guys. Hardtops go for around $2,000 on up. Unless it's your preference to have a hard top, you can get a soft top for almost 1/3 of the price (and you can use the money you save to add $1,300 worth of parts elsewhere on your TJ). :D

This is what Jerry is referring to: Sailcloth Replace-a-top. The specific model number you're looking for is 79121, second from the top on the list on the right-hand side of the page. It includes the top and the half-doors you need.

Quadratec has a sale going on that essentially knocks out the price you'll pay to have it shipped. I would think other retailers would price-match them if you'd rather order through someone else, though. The link I posted is for the tinted windows. The top is also available with regular windows, too.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The link I posted is for the tinted windows.
And that's another fantastic thing about installing a new soft top--the upgrade to tinted windows. :cool:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
And that's another fantastic thing about installing a new soft top--the upgrade to tinted windows. :cool:
Yeah, and I would imagine that would help keep the inside cool when you're driving around Louisiana? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts