Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Rubi is cold, the transmission stays in first until it revs to about 3000/rpm and then chunks into second and then thumps into 3rd BUT, if I let idle for about 5-7 minutes before driving, all's well.

WTF?

R

·
0 Posts
If you have an 06 factory auto you have a 4-speed 42RLE. I had a similar issue just recently after a rebuild (coming up on a year since the rebuild), the valve body was throwing codes so got it changed under warranty. Shifts great now. Could be a few things though. Best to take it for a diagnostic to get a better idea imo. After the initial shift to first or after the second pass through the gears it was fine (no clunks, just some hesitations), just got it checked out since I had a warranty.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
Have you properly checked the ATF level in the transmission yet? Properly means the engine must be running and warmed up during the level check.

And as said above, your automatic is the 4-speed 42RLE.

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
sadly, this is a known problem with the 06 TCM and dodge couldnt care less. im betting they will want to do a full trans rebuild or swap and you'll still have the same problem

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
sadly, this is a known problem with the 06 TCM and dodge couldnt care less. im betting they will want to do a full trans rebuild or swap and you'll still have the same problem
A new software revision for the PCM/transmission computer has been out for several years, it fixes at least several of the issues known to '05/06 42RLE transmissions. I'd try that if the ATF level is correct as I asked about above.

The PCM flash (SW update) description doesn't actually mention that it fixes several 42RLE issues so some dealers are reluctant to install it when the customer is complaining about his transmission. They sometimes have to be pushed to install it. This is not a free Recall, it's something that would have to be paid for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts