Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did my springs and shocks. Changed springs from 14/54 to 19/60, and it was a royal pain in the butt. Every bolt was rusted badly, I broke both front shock bolts, and I could not budge the front springs. I had to go get spring compressors to get them out. The rear wasn't quite as bad, once I figured out that I could really lower the axle that far and not hurt anything. All better now, with new Rancho 9000xl's in place of the stock shocks. :dance::punk::wavey:

Before picture:

After picture:

2 inch lift all around, I really like how it sits, even with a slight rake. I set the shocks to 3, will have to change and test to see what I like best.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Did you place jack stands on the frame and lower the axle with a floor jack after removing the lower shock and sway bar bolts?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
No, just trying to understand why he had an issue with the front springs.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I feel your pain.:banghead:. I have a 99 Dodge Ram that spent 10 years in Wisconsin. Everything has some rust. I had 4Wheelparts put in new springs and track bar installed to compensate for the Buckstop bumper. Now every time I drive in with the Ram the techs all run and hide:surrender:. I understand they came up with all new cuss words working her. Don’t see rusted trucks like that too often in NM.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did all that, plus removed the front track bar

I think it was just so much rust that it was impossible to budge the front springs. I even tried a pipe wrench to turn them, no luck. I even sprayed everything for 3 days in a row with PB Blaster before i started. I really didn't need too much compession, once I could turn them a little bit they popped right out. I had it on stands with a jack opposite and it was almost like they were welded in there. I almost had the rotors on the floor.

The rear was a piece of cake compared to the front. Although the drivers side rear was a pain, it was my fault. I lowered it and it popped out, but I didn't grab it and it got wedged in there really tight. What a maroon! Once I realized that it could be lowered a lot more, it was easy. A little prying and the new springs popped right in!

·
Registered
916 Posts
That is a sweeeeeeeeeet look ! Are those Like Rubi Springs or somthing?

I was told if I stay with Mopar parts , my new warrenty is good to go. This is all I would want too,, about 2 Inches.

thatswhatshesaid

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are "Rubi springs" they are 19 front 60 rear, and they are original MOPAR parts, ordered from a Jeep dealer. I f you look at the tags on your springs, the last 2 numbers are what you are looking for. My original springs were 14 front, 54 rear.

If you are close to 19/60, which I think are as big as you can get from MOPAR, you won't see a lot of difference.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are those 33's?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Actually they aren't. There is difference between the springs on a Rubicon, Sport, or Sahara.
Tom, I'm very confused. I thought Jeep just had different spring distinction based on spring rates as denoted by the numbering on the them. Whether they came from Mopar, a Rubi, or a Sahara didn't seem to really have any relevance. Basically, a 19 is a 19, there arent different 19's. Am I way wrong on this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mark, looking good man, so much for taking your time in getting it done, huh? I can't go on the 4th and I think you had plans on the 5th (work) but if that changes, let's go wheel Southington. If not, maybe Wellsville later in the month or Southington in early March, weather permitting. Looking forward to seeing it in person, nice work.

Lionel, those are 265/75/16s on there. The measure around 32".

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Tom, I'm very confused. I thought Jeep just had different spring distinction based on spring rates as denoted by the numbering on the them. Whether they came from Mopar, a Rubi, or a Sahara didn't seem to really have any relevance. Basically, a 19 is a 19, there arent different 19's. Am I way wrong on this?
Tom made a typo. What he meant was "Actually they aren't. There is NO difference between the springs on a Rubicon, Sport, or Sahara."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

That's exactly right. So a 19 off of a Sahara is the same spring as a 19 off of a Rubicon is the same spring as the 19 off of a Sport.

What it has come down to is what Jeep you are more likely to find the spring from.

In my experience, you will more likely find the heaviest spring rate from a Rubicon Unlimited, but that's not to say you can't find the same spring from a Sahara. I threw the Sport in there, but I'd say it's the least likely Jeep to find a spring worth swapping.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tom made a typo. What he meant was "Actually they aren't. There is NO difference between the springs on a Rubicon, Sport, or Sahara."
Would would he (we) do without you man? Hope you're liking that new kit on your ride!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
In my experience, you will more likely find the heaviest spring rate from a Rubicon Unlimited, but that's not to say you can't find the same spring from a Sahara. I threw the Sport in there, but I'd say it's the least likely Jeep to find a spring worth swapping.
My experience--which isn't worth any more than yours, I'm just offering an observation--is that spring rate "likelihood" seems to vary principally on whether you have an unlimited or not. Unlimiteds generally get higher rated springs, 2 doors generally get lower. Rubis in either category don't seem particularly likely to get stiffer springs than Sports/Saharas in the same category. Relatedly, that's why 4 doors as a general rule don't benefit as much from the "19/60 swap"--aside from being heavier to begin with, they're also probably already equipped with 17/58s or something similarly high.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Would would he (we) do without you man? Hope you're liking that new kit on your ride!
That's why they pay me so well. Oh wait . . . .

The new lift is riding great. :punk:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts