Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my second yj jeep the first one got totaled in an accident. this one i have had for awhile but my step father dropped a piece of metal in the sixth cylinder through a spark plug hole and didn't tell me and then ruined the motor. but before this i bought every new part for it from a radiator, carb, water, and steering pump basically everything new on the out side of the motor it was a 4.2 i6. i was wondering if i should just go and buy another rebuilt motor or first upgrade the transmission because it is the weak one out of the two they made that year rebuilding the old motor is out of the picture because the machinist said to do everything it would be more exp than buying a new one/rebuilt one ive found one for about 1300 if anyone knows where i can get a little cheaper or a set of new transmission and motor for a good price or should i just put a different motor in it from another vehicle with a better transmission that would line up to the transfercase

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tips from the beas

Why don't you break down the motor and see what the damage is first. You can alway have the cylinder bored a bit and use oversized rings if it isn't too serious. Good luck on th AX-15 trans. That is gonna cost you $6-700 used and about $1600 new, and is a pain in the butt to rebuild, just did both my I6 (4.0L) and the trans.:punk:

·
Registered
4 Posts
titanengines.com, they have straight 6 stroker motors that aren't priced too bad and they come with a warranty. I am buying one from them when I get my tax money back.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I would check the junk yards for 4.0's w/ dizzy's. The local ones have them for around $200 with a 30 day warranty. It would be a cheaper alternative. Also give you some upgrades like serpentine belt, etc. I'm not sure what all would need to be changed but would be cheaper than a full rebuild.

But I agree with the rest in taking apart and accessing the damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i tore the whole motor apaprt and the header haid a small fracture so i had to buy a new and the piston wall were messed up with 1/16 in gash in them so i would have to go bigger pistons and rings basically rebuilding a new motor and is more exp than buying one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts