Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Jeep and I'm absolutely in love. She need a little bit of TLC to get back to original shape and I plan on doing that. A couple of things I need help with.

1) My fuel gauge doesn't work so I never know how much gas I have. I even replaced the gauge and it stil doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2) On the dash under the speedometer and all there is a panel on the left for the headlights. There is another space on the right side of the steering wheel but I do not know what it is for. There is an open space. Can someone tell me what is supposed to be there and if there is a place I can go to buy a blank panel to to place there so there isn't just an open hole.

Thanks guys! My first time here and looking forward to learning more about my new girl!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you know the gauge is working, then check the sender.

The panel to the lower right of the steering wheel is for the rear defroster and rear wiper on YJs with a hardtop.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
This is what you are looking for

Jeep Wrangler YJ 92-95 Rear Wiper Defrost Fog Light Dash Switch Bezel Defroster | eBay

Fog lights, rear defrost, rear wiper.
Holy Cow!! $60.00 for a used switch! If you plan to have a hard top and plan on using the rear wiper/washer and defroster, I would look around locally for a switch at a more reasonable price.

An item is worth what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller. If you really need the switch and can't find a good one for less, then you might make an offer by bidding.

I am running a hard top (my Jeep originally came with a soft top, thus no switch or wire harness). I haven't bothered to attempt to hook up the wiper or defroster. I do have switched power to the interior light in the hard top so it's nice to have a functioning interior light in my cargo area.

If you don't plan on using a rear wiper/washer and defrost or plan on running a soft top, there should be plenty of aftermarket switch assemblies that you can use to power fog/driving lamps or other accessories.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Batjac

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll be checking the sending unit soon but was really hoping it wouldn't come to that :(

As far as the dash, thanks I had no idea what went there! Mine is a soft top though and I run it without the top, doors, etc so I have no need for a switch there. Do you guys know if there is just a plain plate that can be placed there to at least fill the hole?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll be checking the sending unit soon but was really hoping it wouldn't come to that :(

As far as the dash, thanks I had no idea what went there! Mine is a soft top though and I run it without the top, doors, etc so I have no need for a switch there. Do you guys know if there is just a plain plate that can be placed there to at least fill the hole?
Given the shape, I think it would be fairly simple to make your own out of sheet plastic or aluminum, paint it, and tack it in place from behind the dash with a little adhesive of your choice. There would be no need to worry about the factory screw-type mounting, since you won't be adding any switches to it.

I'm not sure if there was a plate there from the factory if you didn't order a hardtop, or a package that came with fog lights (Sahara or Renegade). Maybe someone else who knows can chime in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts