Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1989 wrangler using a '94 wrangler block, but all of the 1989 accessories.
It's a 2.5L TBI, 5 speed.

The Jeep runs great and idles great once started.

Shortly after replacing the block to the newer 94 block, with 109K miles, I started noticing a noise when I start it. It is almost like a chirping, it's really odd. It only lasts a couple seconds, and only happens sometimes, and wasn't effecting my starting.

I always start in first, with the clutch in, but this morning I started it outside the Jeep with it in neutral and the clutch out. It did the chirping noise, which didn't surprise me, but then it died on me for the first time...

Tried again and it started up with some chirping, then idled fine.

I have tried to start it yet since then, but I'm hoping that was a one time thing.

Along with it starting funny, it tries to stay running when I shut the key off sometimes. For anywhere from just subtly to like 2 solid seconds of the engine nosily turning over a few more times, trying to stay running.

It's really annoying, because I've already put about 2 grand into this wrangler trying to get it to start correctly, and the only thing I've seen similar to this is in the carbed 4.2's, which is totally different.

I've replaced(might be missing some things, it was like a year ago for some of them): The engine block, the ECU, the Air Temp sensor, the Ignition coil, the spark plugs, the ignition module, the cap and rotor, the distributor to spark plug wires, the fuel pump, the single point fuel injector, the starter, the battery, the alternator, The MAT sensor, uhh...a couple more sensors, I don't remember which ones...

My problem with my last block was oil burning onto the plugs and making them foul, so I will start by checking those.

I also have a vac canister not connected to anything, but it didn't seem to be a problem, so I dunno if it's a vacuum issue? Blah.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sounds like a shirt in the ignition. I would wiggle the wiring going into the fusebox under the hood. If something is loose there it can cause some strange problems with your ignition. Mine used to run for a few seconds after taking out the key, it also used to buzz like the key was in the ignition sometimes even though it wasnt. That is where I would check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fusebox is under the dash, unlike the 92 and ups, I think they switched.

I will check there though! It would be great if I didn't have to dump anymore cash in this thing, I had to buy a radiator yesterday...

Sounds like a shirt in the ignition. I would wiggle the wiring going into the fusebox under the hood. If something is loose there it can cause some strange problems with your ignition. Mine used to run for a few seconds after taking out the key, it also used to buzz like the key was in the ignition sometimes even though it wasnt. That is where I would check.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Oh so you only have one fusebox insead of two. If you can just unscrew it from the firewall so you can get to the back of it. You might get lucky and have a wire rubbing right there causing your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts