Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted all this in the "What I Did to My TJ Today" thread but since photobucket changed things, none of the pics worked I thought I would make an actual post about it.

Finished Project

Items needed:
1 Side Emitting LED Strip (Red)
2 Home Depot 5 Gallon Bucket Lid
3 Clear Silicone

This is the LED strip I used, it can be cut down every 3 LEDs which is perfect because you only need to cut 3 off. There are power leads on both sides, but since you are powering with 12+volts you only need the leads on 1 side.

The slash is where you can cut them

I just drilled holes in the bucket lid, 3 in the middle for the studs on the spare tire bracket and 1 at the bottom edge for the wires on the led strip ( you can kinda see that hole on the right hand side of the lid)

Feed the wires of the strip through the hole on the edge of the bucket lid

I put a dab of silicone every couple of inches in the groove of the lid, might not be needed but I like the reassurance of it. The only place it is truly needed is at the end, where you cut the 3 leds off needs to be resealed, so I filled the groove then pushed the end into it. Sorry no pic of that.

Here is how the LEDS fit in the groove of the lid.

I hard wired mine, then put the lid on the tire mount, put the spare back on and tighten down the lug nuts.

If you want to be able to remove it without cutting wires you could pick up some waterproof 2 wire connectors, then put them in line.

Deutsch Connector You need a crimper for these, listed below

Deutsch Crimper

@Mr.Maim Found these which are also a great alternative if you do not wish to buy the crimper needed for the ones I mentioned.
2 Wire Waterproof Connector

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did this mid as well and your write up is perfect! However, I have 15" wheels with a fake bead lock so it's hard to see the light at all. Anyone have a suggestion on a smaller lid that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did this mid as well and your write up is perfect! However, I have 15" wheels with a fake bead lock so it's hard to see the light at all. Anyone have a suggestion on a smaller lid that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines a 15" wheel as well and I used the 5 gallon lid I posted, it is about 12 inches in diameter, depending on your wheel you could try a lid from a 2 gallon pail instead they are 9 3/4" diameter, I have not found them in black yet but home depot carries them in white and you could get some Krylon fusion black paint for plastics.

2 Gallon Lid

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mines a 15" wheel as well and I used the 5 gallon lid I posted, it is about 12 inches in diameter, depending on your wheel you could try a lid from a 2 gallon pail instead they are 9 3/4" diameter, I have not found them in black yet but home depot carries them in white and you could get some Krylon fusion black paint for plastics.

2 Gallon Lid
That's perfect, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Hmmm well maybe a few more seconds are in order.....
I just typed "2 gallon bucket lid" and picked the first one....

Good luck

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the mod. Had a friend cut the circle on plasma table then powder coated. The light looks great.

Thank you for the idea.
Looks good. Side note: :wavey: Hello fellow Kansan

NICE! Steel? Aluminum? How are the LEDs attached?
Looks like he went with the flat LED strips that have 3m tape on the back, then added a couple zipties.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes. We used steal that we plasma cut for the circle and lug holes. We also added a few extra holes for zip ties. The leds are the roll with 3m tape. They are outdoor rated. The zip ties are for backup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is one on youtube that plugs in behind the tail light and has turn signals.
I searched " Jeep JK spare tire brake light with turn signals ".
Looks pretty cool. Anyone think this really works?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
OP, you should market it and sell it for $15. I bought mine for $25 and it's already put together. No work involved. Shhhh. Needle inserted into balloon.

Attachments

Reactions: Deuxlatch1
1 - 20 of 23 Posts