Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm set to take delivery of the virgin 2013 JKUR sometime in the next 5-7 weeks. My plan is to order all of the PHASE I parts below before the Jeep gets here, so I hope to hash out any final tweaks/changes before then. Once the build starts, I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pictures, I promise! So, after several months of research, and without further adieu... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

PHASE I:
Foundation:
(1) 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
-- Deep Cherry Red
-- 6spd Manual
-- 4.10 Gears
-- Premium Soft Top
-- Black Cloth
-- Connectivity Package

Intent: 80% Daily Driver, 20% Moderate Offroad... for now. :punk:

Shoes:
-- (5) Goodyear Duratrac (315/75/R16)
-- (5) Level 8 Tracker (Matte Black, 16x8.5, 4.5" BS)
-- (1) Set: Black lug nuts (with locking)

Lift:
(1) Rock Krawler MaxTravel 2.5" kit, includes the following:
-- (2) long travel progressive rate front coil springs
-- (2) long travel linear rear coil springs
-- (1) double adjustable front track bar
-- (2) high clearance adjustable front lower control arms
-- (2) high clearance adjustable rear lower control arms
-- (2) adjustable front sway bar disconnects
-- (1) precision welded rear track bar relocation bracket
-- (2) front long travel stainless steel brake lines
-- (2) rear long travel stainless steel brake lines
-- (2) extended rear sway bar links

Suspension:
(4) Fox Racing 2.0 Shocks (for 4-6" Lift, as recommended by Jason from KOR)

Additional:
(1) Hi-Lift Jack HL484 48" Hi-Lift Black Cast and Steel Jack
(1) Set: Rock Krawler Spring clips
(1) TerFlex Exhaust Spacer
(1) AEV Procal Module
(1) Set: ACE JK Rock Sliders (4 Door)
(1) Set: Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops
(1) Stereo: Alpine IVE-W535HD + SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner
(1) AntennaX Off-Road (13" inch) Antenna
(1) Set: MOPAR® Jeep Front/Rear Slush Mats for 4 door
(1) Tow strap with loops

Future PHASE II (In Order):
(1) Artec Industries JK Front Axle ARMOR KIT
(1) Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier (Still undecided!)
(1) CB radio with mount
(1) Front Bumper (Still undecided!)
(1) Winch (Still undecided!)
(?) Additional Armor Skids (Still undecided!)
(1) Rock Krawler Bomb Proof Rear Track Bar and Bracket
(4) Upper Control Arms (Still undecided!)

MY INITIAL QUESTIONS:
1. What size bump stops do I need?

2. Are there any potential conflicts or issues with the parts listed above?

3. Is anyone in or around Northern VA interested in helping me (read: TEACHING) install the lift in early to mid-November? I don't have tools or a garage, but I'm a fast learner, I take direction well, I will work hard right alongside you, and I'll definitely throw in some coin, beer, and food into the pot! My goal, and the reason I don't want a shop to do the install, is that I REALLY want to understand how it all works together; and then, if I'm lucky, I may even know how to fix things WHEN something breaks down the road! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and perhaps providing some help!

/wave
-ph-

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
You have to give her a name, and then name your thread so it sticks out.

"my 2013 build" is too vauge.

You have about 20 minutes to change it still.

If people want to follow your build but dont subscribe, they could search by what you named your jeep.

PF

ps. this build is going to be just like mine was. great minds....

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn, looks like it's too late to change the title... woops!

oh well. I'm not going to lie, I learned a lot from watching and reading your build thread -- along with with a few hundred others! But yours definitely stood out and you documented it well. The only reason I'm not going with the X-factor right off the bat is cost, but I do hope to build up to having the same parts... eventually.

Hell, I even had the same idea you did about a possible Frankenlift using springs/shocks from another kit (After creating my previous thread on the subject, I found your old post about using AEV springs instead of RK springs).

I did the research for that possibility -- several phone calls to different companies -- and still MAY choose to go that route using Metalcloak 2.5" dual-rate springs and OME Nitro Sport shocks instead of the RK springs / Fox shocks combo. (it would only total $90 more than my current plan!)

Happen to know the answer to my Question #1 in the OP?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoever the mod was that helped me change the thread title, THANK YOU!! /cheers

The "Go Skins!" thing will make a lot more sense to everyone once I eventually start posting pictures, I promise... ;)

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Happen to know the answer to my Question #1 in the OP?
I dont know, The Rock Krawler guys just put mine in. It depends on wheather or not your going to change to flat flares. That will also influence your shock length selection.

Everything they do is super tuned in, so you want to call them and explain your plan and they will tell you what way works best.

I have longer shocks because I didnt want to change flares, so I have limited up travel, but extended down travel. My bumpstops are also taller than someone with flat fenders would have.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PieFace said:
I dont know, The Rock Krawler guys just put mine in. It depends on wheather or not your going to change to flat flares. That will also influence your shock length selection.

Everything they do is super tuned in, so you want to call them and explain your plan and they will tell you what way works best.

I have longer shocks because I didnt want to change flares, so I have limited up travel, but extended down travel. My bumpstops are also taller than someone with flat fenders would have.
I don't plan on doing flat flares anytime soon, and I've just been going off what Jason from KOR has told me. I haven't talked to RK directly. Jason suggested the 4-6" Fox shocks and a 3" set of bump stops, but for some reason the bump stop size seemed too tall to me. I'll call RK and see what they suggest. (Jason knows his shit, though, so he's probably correct)

·
Retired Moderator
8,553 Posts
Whoever the mod was that helped me change the thread title, THANK YOU!! /cheers

The "Go Skins!" thing will make a lot more sense to everyone once I eventually start posting pictures, I promise... ;)
:thumb:

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
I would run something like 2" Bump with 35's and 3" bump with 37s.

I would advise installing spring retainers to keep your coils in their spring perches.

Those shocks will travel for days...

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
Precision welded rear track bar relocation bracket

In phase II you note that you will buy this bracket again.....

You will only need to buy the rear adjustable trackbar. Not the bracket.

Ah I see that the spring retainers are included in the lift. disregard my post above for that part.

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
since you'll be doing a lot more off roading than me, originally stated 20% off road usage, i'm about 1-2%, you should look into a better/ higher clearance rail such as Off Road Evolution Rock Rails. They don't protrude or stick out nearly as far and they are welded in and also have a high clearance protection plan...

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
16" wheels is a pretty uncommon, in comparison, wheel size and the tire selection sucks. better bet is 17" wheels. easily upgradeable to 37" tall tires in the future where you'll be limited on the 16" wheel.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Precision welded rear track bar relocation bracket

In phase II you note that you will buy this bracket again.....

You will only need to buy the rear adjustable trackbar. Not the bracket
you're right! that's what I get for copy/pasting the part name off of RK's website. :facepalm:

luckily, I won't be ordering that for quite some time... (Most of Phase II will probably be next summer).

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
since you'll be doing a lot more off roading than me, originally stated 20% off road usage, i'm about 1-2%, you should look into a better/ higher clearance rail such as Off Road Evolution Rock Rails. They don't protrude or stick out nearly as far and they are welded in and also have a high clearance protection plan...
You know, clearance is/was my primary concern with ANY rails on the side -- so I was considering skipping them all together -- but I do really need them for my wife/daughter to climb in and out of the Jeep (as I've been told by the wife herself!). She looked at the new Rubi's and asked "Where'd the steps go? How are we going to get in and out once you jack that thing up?!" (I have a Sahara now, so she's spoiled by the steps!)

I REALLY like the look of the Off Road Evo's you suggested, so I will seriously consider those instead. (The only problem is that they require even more welding... DOH!) Do you happen to know if they definitely work with the stock Rubi rails? Their website suggests that they would: "These can be used with all factory Jeep sliders and steps as well as all aftermarket frame mounted rock sliders", but their photos don't show any installed with the Rubi rails on as well.

Thanks for all the good tips, I really appreciate it!

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
yeah its really really crucial in some places that we go off roading at. if you can barely squeeze the tires through some of the rocky areas your rails are the next thing to hit and thats the one thing i just dont like about the ace rails. ive heard they are great quality and they're made in the usa.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Build List Updated.
Changes:
-- EVO Rock Skins (instead of ACE Rails)
-- 17in wheels/tires (instead of 16")
-- Selected tire carrier for Phase II: TeraFlex HD Hinge Carrier

1 - 20 of 306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.