Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 Wangler 4dr. I traded in a 2007 Wrangler 4dr. THE STEREO SUCKS!!!! My stereo (which was factory) in my 2007 blows this current stereo away. The 2015 sounds like I have 6 ipods where there the 6 speakers should be. I put in a complaint to JEEP/Chrysler and Im waiting for a call back....smdh $32,000 for a vehicle and you can't even get a decent stereo......I'm quite sure they aren't going to do anything to make me happy......and I'll have to shell out $1,000 for a halfway decent sound system.:lmao:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed that myself when I bought mine a couple months back. I put in a new double din pioneer head unit. Took a couple minutes of fiddling with the controls however it turned out to be pretty decent stock. Although if you have the money obviously get a new speaker upgrade. 8 speakers by the way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, this is how it is ....

I have a 2014 with the $1,800 Alpine "premium" factory stereo (730n uConnect head unit) in it and it was terrible. I mean, yes, I've heard worse -- but only in one vehicle I've owned in the last 15 years or so. (The factory system in my 2001 Acura RSX was just amazingly awful....)

I can't even imagine how bad it would sound if I went with the base stereo instead of "Premium". But obviously, Chrysler has this idea that Jeep Wrangler owners don't care much about the sound quality since they're going to be playing around off-road with the top off of the vehicle and so forth. So it seems like they really didn't even try.

I just bought a 2015 Wangler 4dr. I traded in a 2007 Wrangler 4dr. THE STEREO SUCKS!!!! My stereo (which was factory) in my 2007 blows this current stereo away. The 2015 sounds like I have 6 ipods where there the 6 speakers should be. I put in a complaint to JEEP/Chrysler and Im waiting for a call back....smdh $32,000 for a vehicle and you can't even get a decent stereo......I'm quite sure they aren't going to do anything to make me happy......and I'll have to shell out $1,000 for a halfway decent sound system.:lmao:

·
Registered
132 Posts
The JK factory sound system is like the tuna served at Dominic Torreto's grocery store...no one likes it (see the original Fast and the Furious movie for explanation). The best thing to do if you are unhappy with it would be to replace it with an aftermarket system. I've had to go aftermarket with every Wrangler I have owned including the TJs so I think twyrick is right when he says Chrysler isn't too concerned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which system do you have? I have the Alpine upgrade in my 2015 with the base head unit. It sounds decent when listening to a CD or iPod but the bass has to be turned down to -5 and it still is just doesn't sound right. I've never had that issue. Its like it just needs a better equalizer.
I watched this entire video on the Alpine upgrade stereo. Pretty interesting but I was expecting more.
https://youtu.be/b25jj_zzINQ

·
Registered
791 Posts
I understand your frustration, but there are a few fairly cheap mods. I dont have the links but do a couple searches for "Tweeter Mod Cheap" by @Pressurized, "Infinity 6032", and there are a couple of others. I think theres one by Pressurized that shows major improvement for less than $100 (Im basing my upgrade beyond HU on those suggestions).

I wasnt expecting much from the factory so I knew immediately I was going to replace HU (which is one reason I didnt get the Sahara X with the upgrade). Stereo is so personal preference, its hard for the factory to do much to please everyone. There is plenty of options here to help you out. Good luck, I look forward to hearing what you find out and your upgrades.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
what's the source material? ... and don't say Sirius.

·
Registered
351 Posts
lol I like the post. Welcome to wranglerforum!

I wonder if the alpine setups sound like my kicker setup does. It sounds better than the 8 pieces of crap my 2015 JK came with, but it still kinda sounds like.. it sounds like .. I'm blasting music inside a giant theater hall made out of garbage cans.

A lot of people here praise stuffing the speaker boxes with pillow guts.. err.. polyfill. Apparently that gets rid of the plasticky garbage can sound, but I'm not sure I'm a believer in it.

I can't quite figure it out though. I do think the kicker setup is fantastically clear. Maybe it's just that the interior of the jeep needs a headliner or something so it doesn't sound so.. yeah.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you not get a demo of the sound system before buying?

I have a 2014 with the alpine package; agree the sound quality is lacking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lets face it. The acoustical characteristics of the inside of a Wrangler is the same as a dumpster filled with empty oil barrels. The expenditures on expensive audio equipment trying to compensate for this poor environment is all in vain. Stop wasting your money, it will never sound like your in your living room, or a Lexus.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I thought my speakers were blown. The bass (or lack thereof) really does distort out. Sounds like a boom box you used to carry around in the seventies.
:(

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
1 - Can't compare the 2014 and older Alpine upgrades to the 2015+, there is no comparison. At all.

2 - Source media makes a HUGE difference. SiriusXM sounds like crap compared to a high-bitrate MP3 or AAC played from something like an iPod or iPhone.

3 - Base stereos tend to sound like crap no matter what vehicle or brand it is, unless it's a luxury brand like Benz, BMW, etc. If you didn't expect it to sound relatively bad and you didn't bother giving it a good listen before plunking down your money...well...that's on you, not Chrysler. I opted for the Alpine system in my '15 and it sounds amazing for a factory system in a Wrangler, especially when high-quality media is played through it.

4 - Complaining to Chrysler about being unhappy with the sound of the stereo would be like complaining to Chrysler because the Jeep doesn't accelerate as fast as you want. It's not a design flaw, it's a difference in expectation vs reality that you should've known about before buying it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are some extremely high quality speakers available now if you walk away from "car audio".

Just install a good 4 channel amplifier, run some selenium 6" speakers for the 6's and get some 3" CDT's for the dash and sound bar. Each are 4 ohm, double them up and run the amp 2 ohms per channel. Use the crossover on the amplifier to seperate mids from highs.

You could do this in a few hours and I gaurantee it will blow away whats in there now. I made certain to get the alpine upgrade for my jk after hearing it. Esentially speaker placement minus the sub is the same, all you need to do is install an amp and high quality drivers. Then you can build a subwoofer enclose and amplifier for the rear, or snag someones stock sub and run it off another aftermarket amplifier.

Head unti will change the quality of the sound some as stock headunits sometimes have filters built into them to clean up the signal to the amp. Not always, but cheaper units do.

And they gave you the option when you went to purchase it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have a 2013 and it sucks also, but Insane makes one that is specifically for the JK. It is $1000, but it allows for a backup camera (which is needed), and much better sound, also has navigation

Check it out

Insane Jeep Audio Part JK1001 - In-dash Navigation and Multimedia Entertainment System - Fits 2007 to 2015 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4 Wheel Drive

·
Registered
10 Posts
After installing the Mopar headliner kit in my 2015 Unlimited I noticed an improvement in my 430N and stock speaker system... It sounds just fine to me now, but when I get the sub installed, it will be much improved. Bouncing sound off the plastic interior of the Unlimited did not make for a good listening experience.

And if any of you have a wiring diagram for the harness plugging into the 2015 430N radio, please let me know how to get a copy!

Good luck with your stereo project.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts