Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is going to jump around a bit since I am putting it together a little ways into things. This will be my daily driver/fun rig to run around town and go on adventures with my kids and wife.

I owned a TJ 15 years or so ago, but with a growing family, it got sold for something more practical. I did not mod it too much...just a BDS lift, tires, wheels and an exhaust. After the lift, it did ride poorly. Now with the wonder of the internet, I see the setup was probably wrong.

Fast forward to December 2016. I was looking for another Wrangler and was hoping for a Willy's. I liked the stance standard options it came with, such as the HD suspension and LSD along with the wheels and tires. When it got down to it, I found a black Sport S at the dealership for a very good deal. For the money, I saved I could put together my own Willys's for less money and more customized for my needs....I thought.

Here it is shortly after bringing it home.

My first mod was a set of unexciting Quadratec floor mats

And a set of MOPAR sill guards.

Right off the bat, a couple of things I noticed was that the stock headlights suck and mine was leaking. I live in NW Oregon and it rains here a lot, more so this year and recent years. I first discovered the leaks when I was putting the floor mats in. The passenger side rug was soaked and began my saga of bringing it to the dealership multiple times for various leaks. It is not as bad as it once was, but it still leaks. More to come on that.

This is just a start and I will add more to it in the next few days. I hope to show off what I did and maybe help others decide on what they would like to do.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My second upgrade was to get some better headlights on the rig. The stock ones just are terrible, especially in the dark and rain. My wifes Grand Cherokee has HID's that are amazing. The closest to that I can get is what I was looking for.

I first went with the Cibie conversion that is talked about by many on here. Overall there was a pretty good improvement. I added some higher output bulbs too. Even though the difference was noticeable, it still wasn't great. Maybe I was spoiled by the HID's, but I still wanted more.

Always looking to make my buck go further I researched lots on LED upgrades. When it boiled down to it, I ended getting some JW Speaker EVJ 8700's from my local 4 Wheel Parts on sale for $470 and a $100 gift card. These lights got great reviews and had the built in anti-flicker. As soon as I put them in I was super impressed. Nice wide bright beam with a sharp cutoff. The lights lit up the road at night and was a great mod. I did add the additional horizontal adjuster so I could fine tune things. Very happy with the improvement and I would suggest it to anyone. Worth the money-and that is coming from a cheapskate! :lmao:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the suspension and wheels, I decided to go with a take off Heavy Duty suspension from an Unlimited. I got lucky and found a set of almost new take off's with the upgraded red shocks and 18/59 springs for $100 off of Craigslist. No photos of the install, but I did gain a nice lift. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the steering wheel straight after the lift. :pcwhack:

My local dealer was cleaning out a bunch of old parts they had laying around. I scored a set of Rubicon rocker guards for $20. I quick shot of Rustoleum bed liner spray and they looked good as new. I also picked up a set of new Rubi take off wheels and tires for $900 from the same dealer. Sold my OEM wheels and tires for $500 so all in I was at $400 for wheels, tires and TPMS sensors.

After photos

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looking good. I have done a number of very similar items to my modest build. I have added the Rubicon take off wheels and tires. I added 1.5" spacers to give it a wider stance. Tomorrow is install day for the Rubi JKU take off shocks and springs and I am hopeful for a good lift. Mine is a soft top, hence not as much weight. I did add a Smittybilt SRC Carbine bumper. I like those headlights! So far I have just upgraded the bulbs to Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Reactions: deeve
1 - 7 of 7 Posts