Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how she looked from the Dealership. There were a lot of lessons learned with my last build, a lot of likes, and dislikes - so I know what I want with this build.

To start with I will be replacing the fenders, bumpers, installing a lift and new wheels and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice, I wanted a Gobi but needed a vehicle as I had sold my AEV Jeep Commander so I settled on a Granite Crystal as Gobi was not out.
Can't wait to see some updates.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One last look at the stock setup....

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First change was to replace the OE painted plastic fenders. I went with Aeries front and rears with Aeries inner fender liners. I ran these same fenders on the Tank build and really like the look and since they are aluminum have the benefit of some weight savings. For the rear liners, I just cut the OE plastic liners.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Congrats, she's a beauty!!!

-Steven

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next up was the rear bumper. Again (you'll see a trend) I went back with JCR Offroad's Crusader Mid Width Rear Bumper - same bumper from the Tank. The tire carrier is on order and hasn't shipped yet. While back here, I also moved the tag up to the spare carrier, and added the tag delete plug to fill the OE tag hole.

The bumper LED's are wired into the reverse lights to give a little more illumination while backing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you disposing of the bumpers?

Nice Jeep btw
Yes, bumper are already sold though... I listed the takeoffs in the For Sales threads yesterday. Painted fenders are still for grabs at this time, and I haven't listed the rims/tires just yet but they should be up soon...

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next up is work on the front. Since we salvaged the stinger from Tank, I decided to go back with it. I had toyed with the idea of keeping the Rubi front bumper, but by the time I added the winch mounting plate, and a bull bar I would have another $400 or so in it. Since the Stinger was there, it didn't add to the cost of mods.

Then on to the headlights. Those new LED's are too shiny for me. Even though the OE LED's are vast improvements over the original OE bulb type - the silver backings made the Jeep look like it had eyes. I wanted the front a little more subdued. I had been eyeing the Putco lights for a while but with bad reviews and an $800 price tag wouldn't pull the trigger. I then came across these Opar arrow lights for like 1/8 the cost of Putco's - and their probably made in the same factory :) - I'll get a close up shot of the lights post up soon.

Here is a before and after. Now to get the winch installed and a few other mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next on the list was to replace the whip AM/FM antenna with a stubby. Since I never listen to the AM/FM I really don't care about reception....

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next up was the installation of the cargo rack that was a home-brew and was savaged out of the Tank. It holds my axe, shove, and shorty sledge hammer and allows me to carry a little extra gear and maximizes storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another quick fix was to paint the muffler black. In the future I'd like to replace the OE one with a small, lower profile one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starting to look even better. I just picked up exact the same one , 2017 Rubicon Unlimited Recon in Gobi. Just changed out the muffler and grill. Any suggestion on cold air intake? Tires and rims next for me. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wheels and tires are on - so 35's do fit without a lift. True Mall crawler stance here :) Not to worry, she goes into the shop today for the lift!!!

Tires are Toyo MT 35x12.50 Open Country
Rims are Moto Metal MO961 18x10

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starting to look even better. I just picked up exact the same one , 2017 Rubicon Unlimited Recon in Gobi. Just changed out the muffler and grill. Any suggestion on cold air intake? Tires and rims next for me. Keep us posted!
No suggestions on the air intake. I have heard that certain ones will get you a few more MPG.

What muffler did you go with?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts