Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby was over at our friends to start the work on my new lift when they got to it they found out the frame is rusted. I'm heartbroken, I've been wanting a lift forever! I bought my 2000 brand new and it was a daily driver for me with much neglect (obviously) but now I want to build her how I want her especially after hubby got a restored CJ last year. The TJ is no longer a daily driver, it's been parked the last two winters so right now the plan is to restore.

So right now we're looking for good places to get a frame.

·
Registered
461 Posts
try daveysjeeps.com. They usually have frames pretty reasonable if yours is beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How much rust? Any pics?
This is key. Can't advise without knowing. Some people freak about surface rust. Others see a couple holes and think no big deal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
CarolinaBound said:
This is key. Can't advise without knowing. Some people freak about surface rust. Others see a couple holes and think no big deal.
yes, I see some pics on here with minor surface rust and I say I WISH that was my frame! Damn northeast rust-belt!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
yes, I see some pics on here with minor surface rust and I say I WISH that was my frame! Damn northeast rust-belt!
If you want a laugh head over to the JK side and see their rust threads. Pull in out all the stops for a brown drive shaft or their axle being patchy. Meanwhile I literally have a 2x4 hole right in front of my control arm that I've been putting off lol. Few more weeks with my welder before I tackle that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, I've seen the threads, wife's got a '13 jku, never mind it'll need a new head or that they still can't make a top that doesn't leak, a little surface rust on the front axle and everyone wants a recall haha! Hopefully the frames and bodies are better protected against corrosion, I guess

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
you'd have to drop the skid to check between the frame and skid, big trouble spot. plus where the control arm mounts touch the frame. that could be all surface rust or could be shaled and rotted

safe t caps are also an option

·
Registered
665 Posts
Pics of the rust pile and frame. That's all I got from a text from my husband.
I picked up an 01 last May that looked like that. It sat for two years also. I was under it for awhile checking the frame, and didn't find any rot holes. So I bought it. I am restoring mine now just because I have time and don't use it as a daily driver. Cleaning the frame and using Chassis Saver. After a lot of scraping and grinding I still haven't found any holes. Hopefully your in the same boat. Surface rust from sitting can be very deceiving.. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hit it with a hammer what ever is solid brush on por15 that stuff is pure magic when it comes to rust. Whatever is weak you might want to weld some new metal and paint when your done undercoat. I restored my frame with my dad a year or two ago. I don't remember if I posted it I think i may have.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Idk if you still have your carpet but if you do lift it I'm sure there's some rust there too hit w.e you can with por15 it'll fix rust from spreading or worsening, it won't however fix any rot only new metal will. Between the skid plate and frame is a big trouble area I recommend dropping that a little with the lift anyway. Dropping it will allow it to vent instead of trapping dirt and moisture. AND a poor design with these frames is there are holes on the sides but none underneath that means dirt and water goes in and can't come out rotting inside out. I drilled small holes under the frame to drain water and ventilate. They also sell some paint with a long straw you snake through to hit that rust inside

1 - 13 of 13 Posts