Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I have an 89 yj with the 4.2 inline 6 258 newly installed weber 32/36 carb tuned in the best I can, no vacuum leaks that I know of or can hear sprayed brake cleaner in there and no idle increase. The problem is when the motor gets warmed up and to running temp only when driving, it will backfire stutter and lose power until it stalls and will not fire back up and hold an idle until it cools down completely.

Possible things I think;
Vapor lock
Fuel pump
Coil
Distributor
Plugs

It is not bad gas I siphoned it clean and ran the rest of it through the motor. It idles fine until I want to go some where in it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If it isn't the coil you could have a bad Ignition Control Module. My 89 4.2 did the same, it was losing spark. Changed the ICM and that took care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not nuttered it and have not switched the coil would you just go with a stock coil or upgrade to a performance one? Also my thermostat gauge is not working I replaced the thermostat itself yesterday. Plan to nutter bypass tomorrow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts