Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Winch or no winch I love the looks of stingers! I built mine and only used it once while dropping into a washed out creek. I say put a stinger on it!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks guys! Stingers aren't really my thing on DD type jeeps like mine. I may do a small upper bar later that would be a winch protetctor if I get one.

I also might get some lights too because night wheeling is freaky with just the headlights. :)
Bored after work. Mostly poser pics but I did do some wheeling. Scary at night but she did great!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got my goodie box the other day. I got all 4 shocks put on. Wow! what a difference. Rides totally different.
Also, next time I decided to BL a 16 year old jeep...someone please reach thru the computer and slap me. LOL!
Not really that bad but bad enough. 3 of the 11 mounts had to be some surgery. The steel mounts on the frame are ok but the body mount bolt locations are borked. I got two of them cut out and repaired. So 1 more and the BL is done.
Also I got a new radiator. I knew there was some "green" on top but when the shroud came off, it's done and there were 2 small wet spots. The jeep never ran hot so... . Luckily the local parts store had one in stock for $120 bones.
I'll get some pics of the BL when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So with some blood sweat and tears and some new cuss words the jeep is ready to go for it's maiden badlands trip.
What was done in the last week?
1" BL, had to rebuild 3 mounts on the body side
new radiator
1" lift shackles rear
mounted "flag"
fix cig lighter
added a bit of steering stops Just to make sure my tires don't hit the leafs when aired down.
checked/filled all fluids
4 new shocks
So it does not sound like much but I was humpin to get iot all done.
I did some garden flex tests and will get pics up in a bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you have been busy, looks good to me! just put the bilstein shocks on mine and was only able to get them stock from quadratec after another outfit I purchased from put them on 4 month backorder. had some difficulty getting it done(rusted bolts and shock top bolt) then discovered rust in fuel filter frame area that needs some repair. all else looks ok when I did the other 3 shocks. cleaned up and rust primered and painted each of wheel wells and springs. getting there slowly but getting there....Driller

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So after a mostly successful wheeling day in the badlands i got the jeep cleaned up. All is pretty good. The wheeling pics are in the event thread.
I did break a part on the soft top where it hit a tree, gonna try to find a used one. Not a super big deal cause it still works but I wanna fix it.
Since I blew the rear brakeline coming off the trailer I also started getting the rear brake stuff hashed out. I got all the stuff I need including a 3" longer rear rubber line made. Just need to bend it, flare it and get it put on then I can have rear brakes again. Big thanks to the guys at Brake Materials for getting me all the corect stuff. Everything and I mean everything was rusted off. LOL!
While I was messing with the brake lines I noticed a gas smell and I had noticed one last week working on the under side of the jeep. Well i found it. Fuel filter was rusted thru and weeping. So I got a new filter and some lines to get that replaced. The bad part is that I need to fab up a new fuel filter gaurd plate as mine is basically rusted gone.
Lastly my front fender rust got the best of me a bit. When I rubbed the flare on the front drivers side the rust basically came apart. I still have wheel clearence but need to do something about it. Need to think on that some but it will be fixed by the next wheeling trip.
So all in all mostly not badlands damage persey, but more maint to get this sucker tip top.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So started working on the jeep again. Working on the rear bumper now. In my tinkering around the rear(lol). I found some frame rust. It was not showing until I started digging at it. I need to do some patch work on both sides underneath. Other than that it's pretty solid. I wil get some pics of the new bumper. The main bumper is pretty much done but now I need to fix the frame rust before I mount it.
Also 2.5" lift springs are here and waiting to go on when the frame gets fixed. I had a longer brake line made when I redid the rear brakes. My wifey works at a place that can make me some longer SS front lines. :)

Bumper pics:

Still need to build all the mounts, also I will eventually build the tire carrier but for now I have enough to deal with.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Get used to replacing rear axle seals, especially with those size tires. Don't be surprised if you break an axle shaft. The D35 is WEAK, and I've already blown 2 seals on mine. First one was with 31" tires, the second is with smaller 29" tires, and without wheeling it hard.

It's a light duty axle, and it's just okay with stock tires. If you want something that will last, consider swapping in a ford Exploder 8.8 rear axle, especially with all the work you're doing already ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Loving it!

What's next?
Thanks! Not sure really. I want to rhino the tub but I need to fix some rust first and tube front fenders to get rif of the rust there. Belly up kit, winch so I can wheel alone without as much worry. New center console. LOL! big list. :)

Get used to replacing rear axle seals, especially with those size tires. Don't be surprised if you break an axle shaft. The D35 is WEAK, and I've already blown 2 seals on mine. First one was with 31" tires, the second is with smaller 29" tires, and without wheeling it hard.

It's a light duty axle, and it's just okay with stock tires. If you want something that will last, consider swapping in a ford Exploder 8.8 rear axle, especially with all the work you're doing already ;)
The plan is to swap the axle someday. I will probably just wait til the d35 gives up. Some local guys I wheel with have run their d35's with 33-35" tires for years without issues. They are rough on stuff too but... The one guy only swapped to the 8.8 when he started breaking shafts BUT he was running a 5.2 v8. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
now take your leaf springs and re weld them on to of your axles and flex like us soa guys ; )

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lovin' the build! Here's a random question: how did you get the soft top to fold down like that in the first post? I could never figure mine out!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Lovin' the build! Here's a random question: how did you get the soft top to fold down like that in the first post? I could never figure mine out!

Well, not sure really. It's a bestop top so it may be different than a stock top. Not sure. It just folds up nice like that.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Pics o my new brake lines.

Yup, it's lifted now.

^plus the cb mount
finished cb wireing. Yes it is fished thru the window frame except for the antenna wire for now.

And for some pieces of flair! LOL!
New, old ass polished sparkley 70's shift knob for the trans, and badass holmes wrecker winch disengagement knob for the 4wd. :)

21 - 40 of 196 Posts