Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Researching the Forum as I have prior to buying my TJ, I picked up on a common concern among Soft Top owners; that being our TJ's are easy theft objects. So, I figured the easiest way to defeat these scumbags would be to disable the ignition system and while I'm at it, to isolate the battery if the TJ sits for an extended period of time.

Enter Painless Wiring and their Remote Master Disconnect, P/N 30206. I called Painless & asked which of their disconnects would work best on my '00 TJ, as I wanted to keep the clock and computer memory functional even when disconnected. The tech advised using this setup, as it is a mechanical solenoid and has a 10 amp circuit lead to run just enough power to keep the clock & computer memory active.

It uses a remote momentary push-button switch to activate and deactivate.

Painless Wiring Part 30206 - Remote Master Disconnect Kit w/Mechanical Latching Solenoid

Anybody use this? I know it's spendy, but I'd have peace of mind come summer when she's topless. Thoughts? Thanks...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Keep the Jeep dirty and park next to nice cars lol

If you have a garage park it overnight for piece of mind.

If you have a nice stereo don't blast in a neighborhood to let everyone know what you have....

I have anti theft device that has vibration sensors and will chirp or go off depending on how hard the vibes are. Plus it won't start w/ the alarm on. and the remote will go off if the alarm goes off.

Other than that I keep my Jeep empty and unlocked there is nothing in there to take but the factory sterio and the effort won't be worth how much they will get for that.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If a good thief wants it they are going to get it. Nothing you can do. I've heard now they just tow your Jeep away. They don't even start it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If a good thief wants it they are going to get it. Nothing you can do. I've heard now they just tow your Jeep away. They don't even start it.
Don't know if Jerry will see any of this. but his first TJ was towed away. Wasn't even started.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a mechanical solenoid and has a 10 amp circuit lead to run just enough power to keep the clock & computer memory active.
OK, I get the no worky for theft. But, as for battery isolation, we all know our Jeep's have lights that can 'magically' illuminate for no apparent reason. If only for this reason, it is why I'm looking into this...

·
Registered
923 Posts
That is true. if the alarm has vibe sensors they will go off but thats the best defense is if the sound gets anyones attention...

But there is no 100% safe way to prevent any car from being stolen unless you stand gaurd by it all day lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
ninjaturtle0 said:
Keep the Jeep dirty and park next to nice cars lol

If you have a garage park it overnight for piece of mind.

If you have a nice stereo don't blast in a neighborhood to let everyone know what you have....

I have anti theft device that has vibration sensors and will chirp or go off depending on how hard the vibes are. Plus it won't start w/ the alarm on. and the remote will go off if the alarm goes off.

Other than that I keep my Jeep empty and unlocked there is nothing in there to take but the factory sterio and the effort won't be worth how much they will get for that.
What kind of alarm do u have?

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
A moat full of Gators and bear traps, surrounded by eat your ass dogs being walked by cereal killers inside a 10k volt fence with sniper towers and a mine field

·
Registered
133 Posts
Who cares. Had a 1999 Wrangler years ago with a soft top. It will always be easy to get in to. If they steal it oh well. Insurance.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Thieves typically want the aftermarket parts. The more goodies you bolt on, the bigger the target you are putting on your TJ...alarm or no alarm.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I did that set up, but if you go to the web site ALL BATTERY SALES you can buy Its called a latching Solidonied i cant spell for shit Item #24200 I just put in a little switch and i also have the hood locks it gives me a little piece of mind.PM me if needed.the part to my house in wa,state was $50.59

·
Registered
274 Posts
Redsand said:
A moat full of Gators and bear traps, surrounded by eat your ass dogs being walked by cereal killers inside a 10k volt fence with sniper towers and a mine field
Those cereal killers are probably gonna be easy to get past if a thief brings them the right box of cereal. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an aftermarket alarm (with blinky light), kill switch and Club steering wheel lock bar. If the thief gets past all that he can keep the jeep cause he earned it. I leave nothing in my jeep take out my stereo faceplate, mp3 player and XM head unit. I then leave my empty glovebox open. Heck I've hidden my registration and insurance so any thief doesn't know where I live. Leave the doors unlocked (so they don't rip the windows) and although my door has been opened twice nothing has ever been taken. The door opens the alarm goes off the thief sees nothing is in there and bolts. Though why they bothered opening the doors in the first place is a mystery they could just look in and see that there was nothing to steal but never knew theives to be that smart in the first place.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts