Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first let me tell you she is a rear wheel drive so obviously she has less power than her counterpart. Here is the issue I'm having, I can gun it up a hill and get almost to the top, but I stop not because the tires don't have traction, I stop because the car just won't push it. Is there a way I can fix that? Is it a normal issue to be having? I would expect my jeep to almost make it to the top and have the tires spinning out due to loss of traction but I don't know what this issue I'm having actually is so I don't know how to fix it. Please help if you know what I can do :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
First things first let me tell you she is a rear wheel drive so obviously she has less power than her counterpart. Here is the issue I'm having, I can gun it up a hill and get almost to the top, but I stop not because the tires don't have traction, I stop because the car just won't push it. Is there a way I can fix that? Is it a normal issue to be having? I would expect my jeep to almost make it to the top and have the tires spinning out due to loss of traction but I don't know what this issue I'm having actually is so I don't know how to fix it. Please help if you know what I can do :)
2wd Would have more power probably, no transfer case to suck power. You probably cant get up the hill because you don't have enough traction.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Try it again in a Dodge Caravan, if it won't go up then it's the motor (same 3.8 likely) and lack of power, if it does go up then it's traction.

I Kid, I kid!!!!!! Please don't flame me!!!!!!! :):):):)

You have to give us more info, are we talking a 150,000 mile Jeep that maybe needs a tune up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try it again in a Dodge Caravan, if it won't go up then it's the motor (same 3.8 likely) and lack of power, if it does go up then it's traction. I Kid, I kid!!!!!! Please don't flame me!!!!!!! :):):):) You have to give us more info, are we talking a 150,000 mile Jeep that maybe needs a tune up?
my jeep has 62,000 that's why it's so weird what sort of mods can I do to give my jeep more power

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
my jeep has 62,000 that's why it's so weird what sort of mods can I do to give my jeep more power
If it hasn't been tuned up that's where I would start. Plugs & wires, air filter, fuel filter, injectors cleaned, MAF cleaned, all that stuff. Change out your diff fluid, maybe hub bearings.

I'm not an expert. Just giving ideas of things I replace on vehicles when they start getting some miles/age on them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Jk's dont have MAF sensors they have MAP sensors... If you would like you can clean the throttle body,engine and injectors . TB by removing the air intake and rotating-wiping the blade after having spray TB cleaner or completely and carefully removing it.. Get chrysler carbon cleaner and spray it in through the intake while engine is running and someone else is giving it gas at the same time Put seafoam slowly down brake booster line. Also fuel treatment while on E and then fill up gas. Simple maintenance like spark plugs would be good after the carbon cleaner and seafoam through booster

Edit: this is my knowledge upon reading numerous threads on tune ups for my jk and just regular maintenance

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Mebee start by turning traction control to"OFF"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jk's dont have MAF sensors they have MAP sensors... If you would like you can clean the throttle body,engine and injectors . TB by removing the air intake and rotating-wiping the blade after having spray TB cleaner or completely and carefully removing it.. Get chrysler carbon cleaner and spray it in through the intake while engine is running and someone else is giving it gas at the same time Put seafoam slowly down brake booster line. Also fuel treatment while on E and then fill up gas. Simple maintenance like spark plugs would be good after the carbon cleaner and seafoam through booster Edit: this is my knowledge upon reading numerous threads on tune ups for my jk and just regular maintenance
thanks dude I'm going to try and do all this. Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
my traction control light flickers when I'm running out of power. Is there a way to keep it from going automatically
Push the button with the sqiggly lines on it

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
my traction control light flickers when I'm running out of power. Is there a way to keep it from going automatically
you just answered your own question.

The TCS is kicking limiting wheel spin and engine revs which exactly what you need in the situation you are attempting. Turn it off and you will notice a HUGE difference. Also hold it for a few seconds in 4wd and it will turn off all you assist giving you a much better feel and power when off roading. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you just answered your own question. The TCS is kicking limiting wheel spin and engine revs which exactly what you need in the situation you are attempting. Turn it off and you will notice a HUGE difference. Also hold it for a few seconds in 4wd and it will turn off all you assist giving you a much better feel and power when off roading. ;)
here's the two issues with that, I sadly do not have 4wd... Yet, and my traction control is off, but it Turns on automagically

·
Registered
387 Posts
here's the two issues with that, I sadly do not have 4wd... Yet, and my traction control is off, but it Turns on automagically
I believe you cannot "fully" turn off TCS in 2WD. I believe JKs in 4hi can press and hols the button for x amount of seconds to fully turn it off and then in 4lo its always off.. Again this doesnt apply to you because its only 2wd

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you do a search, there some threads a couple years ago on this forum about how to disable the TCS on 4X4 JEEPs. That may work for you, I don't know for sure; but worth a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts