Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't realize that there was a difference in a rebuilt vs. salvage title.

Supposedly, this is a rebuilt title. What does that mean? I just thought that when you wreck that either you fix it or the insurance company says that it's totaled and therefore after that it's automatically a salvage title.

So what's the risk now. As others have stated, I know that a lot depends upon who did the work, and someone mentioned buying a similar clear titled Rubi for $17.5k. This one is listed at $15.9k and 77k miles. I think that it's too high, but what would be a good deal for a rebuilt title?

Thanks again,

Wes

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What year are you talking about?? Where are you located?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Salvage or rebuilt are basically the same thing. A rebuilt could have been a stolen recovery that was stripped and the insurance company considered it a total loss. Both should be worth about half of what a clean title vehicle would be worth IMO..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, it's a '06 Rubicon for $16k. Normally, a great price, but it's salvaged. Here is what the owner stated:
"it will have a rebuilt title. I had to change out the bent frame, it has been completely replaced and not just repaired."

wes

·
Registered
881 Posts
A rebuilt/salvage title reduces the value by 40% and makes it very hard to get insurance. KBB value on an 05 Rubicon is about 19k, so that jeep should be closer to 11k. That is all you would get if it was stolen or totaled in a wreck.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
A rebuilt/salvage title reduces the value by 40% and makes it very hard to get insurance. KBB value on an 05 Rubicon is about 19k, so that jeep should be closer to 11k. That is all you would get if it was stolen or totaled in a wreck.
This...

normal salvage/repaired depreciation values are between 30-50%

way too much...again

and rebuilt is basically the same as salvage...they're spelled different but pretty much have the same meaning

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
no, a salvage title means the vehicle was in an accident or stolen.. if the vehicle is purchased back from the insurance company after compensation is handled, the vehicle gets issued a salvage title. It can only receive a rebuilt title once it has been rebuilt and inspected by the state. check with your state but that is typically the main difference between the two.

Also typically you cant drive a vehicle with a salvage title on public roads as it has not been certified as safe to do. I would hardly say a fully boxed frame vehicle isnt worth spending money on even with a rebuilt title, however i would use that as a bargaining point to beat them down on price. Though if i weren't well versed in wranglers or vehicles for that matter i would steer clear of a rebuilt title, as they deserve a very through inspection by you, and you should know exactly what you're looking for..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's the definitions from CarFax-

"Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title — A Rebuilt/Reconstructed vehicle is a salvage vehicle that has been repaired and restored to operation. These vehicles are often severely damaged before they are rebuilt and refurbished parts are typically used during reconstruction. In most states, an inspection of the vehicle is required before the vehicle is allowed to return to the road.
Salvage Title — A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following eleven states also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR."

If the Rubi is currently or was recently registered with a rebuilt title, and your state allows rebuilt titles, then the appropriate inspections should have been performed. The price seems a bit high for the title headaches and that mileage, I'd offer less. Remember, if you ever want to sell it, others will have the same hesitation.........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Funny mine has a rebuilt title and I didn't have a problem insuring it for full coverage. 05 Rubicon scooped up for 12k 34k miles....

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 06' Golden Eagle was a stolen and recovery from GA, and has a TN salvage title. It had 48,500 miles immaculate condition, all stock, when we bought it for $12,500. We bought it while vacationing in TN. In MI where we live, this Jeep would of had rust, 100,000 miles and sold for $15,000.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I drove a Dodge Neon for years with a rebuilt title. No problem insuring it either.

·
Registered
951 Posts
salvage title 05 rubicons that have been be reconstructed with less mileage listed for 12k around here. same ones with clear title listed for 17-19k. 10-12k seems fair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts