Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 91 jeep wrangler and everytime i start it up it squeaks for about 30 seconds except when its really cold out. i replaced the idler pulley cause someone told me to but that still hasn't helped. i've read it just needs to be tightened but i don't know how to and i don't wanna pay a mechanic an arm and a leg for it. also the belt is only about 4 months old. can anyone help? thanks.

Karl

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Loosen the bolts on your alternator and tighten using that. That is how I remember mine working, anyway. Maybe someone else knows from more recent experience. (I did my '91 YJ about 6 years ago.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Karl, check your belt and make sure it is loose first..you should be able to put your finger or two fingers on it..and push it a little..you should only be able to have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of slack in it...if that is ok...sometimes the belts get a coating on them just from use...go to a auto parts store..discount auto or something similar and buy a can of belt dressing. Just spray a little on the belts and start it up...that should take care of the problem, unless it is a loose belt..that will have to be tightened..

Bill in Jacksonville Florida

·
Registered
307 Posts
KrazeeKarl13 said:
i got a 91 jeep wrangler and everytime i start it up it squeaks for about 30 seconds except when its really cold out. i replaced the idler pulley cause someone told me to but that still hasn't helped. i've read it just needs to be tightened but i don't know how to and i don't wanna pay a mechanic an arm and a leg for it. also the belt is only about 4 months old. can anyone help? thanks.

Karl

I will Second this. Tried new belt and adjust/tighten....no good. Tried Belt Dressing (many times)....no good.
My trouble is Intermitent.....seems to happen if I leave lights on, other times for no apparent reason.....sometimes it's only a few seconds...others it SQUEALS LIKE A PIG for a mile or two down the road. Wet, Dry, Cold, Warm........doesn't matter when it wants to squeal it does. I have gotten used to it... but.. If someone has a good fix I will try it too!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The tension adjuster on my 92 is under the power steering pump. It pulls the power steering pump over to tighten down the belt. I would assume the 91 is the same.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
If it is happening intermittently with no rhyme or reason, I would guess that something is going bad, either an alternator, a power steering pump, or a water pump that is causing it to seize, and therefore squeal as the belt is dragged across a non-moving part. Just another (hopefully wrong for your sake) thought!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts