Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did start a build thread somewhere, but it got cluttered up with my indecisiveness (lol) and not enough pictures. So I will start a new one and keep this one going and be sure to add pictures!.....

Bob is my B(attery) O(perated) B(oyfriend) for short (LOL!). Bob is a 2014 2 door JK Rubicon in Granite Crystal. This is Bob's story....:huglove:

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chapter 1 - A Legend is Born (September 2013)

This saga actually starts with my son. He had a year old F150 that had given him nothing but headaches and repeated trips to the dealer. He finally got aggravated enough that he traded it in for a 2014 JKU in Dune, with 3.21 auto and the fancy radio. He began bombarding me with Jeep pictures by text. Hmmmm I thought. So my son had a brand new cool offroad vehicle that he could take doors and the roof off of - and I was driving a lame grocery getter Mustang that was coming up on 60k. Still in decent shape, paid off, V6 ('nuff said lol!). Self told me "Self, you really need something way cooler like a Wrangler."

About 2 weeks after my sons picture bomb of his Jeep, I was driving my grocery getter to meet my sister for lunch thinking to myself "I really should go test drive a Wrangler, have always wanted an adult tinker toy." No sooner did the thought complete when out of nowhere a golf ball size rock nailed my front passenger windshield - spidered the whole passenger side! I pulled over sort of in disbelief. I concluded it was a sign from the universe that I was MEANT to have a Wrangler - it was karma! The very next day I traded in the pony, spidered windshield and all, for a 2013 Wrangler JKU, Flame Red, 3.73, LSD, power windows/doors, a lame radio and some pretty crappy headlights. I picture bombed my son back - with pictures of MY JEEP!

I joined WF the very next day as I was hunting for info on my new Jeep. (Sometime thereafter I saw a poster in the "Dune See" thread here whose rig looked awful familiar - MY SON! So we are both members here. He is SwitchJK and lives in Ohio.) My very first post is here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/a-big-jeep-wave-from-scottsdale-arizona-320329.html

My second thread is here - remember it carefully...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/total-noob-question-322105.html

The embarassing first day first 15 minutes of ownership incident: I left the dealers lot and headed to a nearby gas station to pick up something to drink. As I drove I went to roll down the windows. I fumbled all over the door but couldnt figure out where the switch was to roll them down LOL! So I arrive at the gas station, pull out the trusty 4G cell phone, and Google "How to Roll Down Power Windows 2013 Wrangler". For real! Google knows all and showed me the switches hidden in the dash. Of course it made sense in afterthought - why would they put window switches on doors that are designed to come off? Newbie owner fail!

Some baby pictures of the limo!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chapter 2 - The Mallcrawling Days (October to December 2013)

For the next few months I crawled the malls in style and read A LOT about Jeeps. One of the WF posters gave me the name of a local Jeep club, so I joined Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. The largest club here in the Phoenix area.

Around Thanksgiving I took my Jeep up to my sisters cabin a few hours north - it saw snowflakes for the first time. My sister was excited: "Look, now we both have Jeeps. Maybe we can go hang out offroad sometime together." Um, no we "both" don't and no we won't - YOU HAVE A 2WD Patriot.

Note carefully the plastic Mopar Sahara sidesteps. I had the dealer throw these in as a "gimme" for free - that I couldn't buy a Wrangler unless I could get in it. They will disappear fairly soon...

One afternoon I pulled into a parking lot and ended up next to a stunning built up orange Wrangler. Aside from the fact I LOVE orange, my poor little rig looked so ... inadequate next to the nicely built rig! I promised my Jeep then and there "Someday you will be the cool big built Jeep in the parking lot." As of yet, I had not even put my rig into 4wd. That was all about to change quite dramatically...

For the holidays, I went to visit my son in Ohio. He gave me Jeep parking lessons. And we made a friend!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chapter 3 - My Introduction to Rock Crawling! (January 2014)

So the Jeep club has an annual "Wheeling lessons" thing in January. I figured I would sign up and learn how to do all the things I kept reading about. How to air down, how to even properly shift into 4wd, and whatever else I needed to learn to drive offroad. I bought a compressor, some recovery gear and headed off to meet the desert up close and personal!

There were SO MANY JEEPS at the event. I was stunned. I did not realize it was such a huge community, such a huge culture.

So we lined up in our groups. I was in the "total noob" class. I expected we would hit a dirt road, talk a lot, and maybe take a few poser pics on a bowling ball size rock. So we pull up to the trail and the leader tells us to go - right down an about 5 foot drop! (Ok I didnt measure but it was big.) And this wasnt even an obstacle-it was just the entrance to the trail. I began suspecting I was in over my head and thought about turning around and leaving. But then I would look like a complete dork to the other 20 or so noobs. So I figured wth - what was the worst that could happen lol! What they left out of the description was this wasnt "Offroad 101" - it was all out "Rock Crawling 101", big difference lol.

I HAD A BLAST! I did crunch off my plastic Sahara sidesteps tho. Better than crunching off my pinch seam or rocker panel I figured. And the dealer had thrown the steps in free anyhow. I was sold. I climbed over really big rocks, white knuckles and all. It wasnt that I really knew what I was doing (I surely didnt lol), but my spotters did and my Jeep did. My first trail was Raw Deal up at Table Mesa.

I replaced the plastic steps with Fab Fours rock sliders - cool as hell looking, ridiculously expensive, boatside down over the pinch seam in steel - and a few dozen holes drilled into my rocker panels lol. I figured it was for the greater good tho!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chapter 4 - Karma Strikes Again (February and March 2014)

I signed up to go on another offroad run with the Jeep club. I also met on the forum (cant remember if it was WF or the Jeep club forum where I encountered him first-he is on both) some dude with a big Jeep, also a 4 door limo like me but Red Rock, with a Hemi. He signed up to go on the same run - to Turkey Creek. It was only his second Jeep run with the Jeep club too. The group met at a gas station and he pulled in front of me in the cul de sac where we were staging everyone. My Jeep again looked totally inadequate next to his 37 inch tires - but I had cooler rock sliders! I spoke with the dude a few times on the trail - he had taken his front doors off and thrown them in the back. Our first real conversation was...about the spare driveshafts he also had in the back. At lunch, I was smitten and overcome by the magical desert dust - the sight of the doorless wonder with spare driveshafts, a lot of tools, big tires and a big engine crawling up a big rock wall. A couple days later he pm'd me on the Jeep club forum and asked me on our first date that weekend. We went to see Blue Man Group - with his boss (also a Jeeper) and his wife. Amusement for that evening was my trying to get into the big Jeep and missing the fact he had grab handles lol. Good thing I hadnt worn a skirt. He showed me where the grab handles were and laughed - made it a lot easier lol. I noted that if I ever got a big Jeep, I NEEDED grab handles. Meet my partner in crime pics from the day we met - Lunatic_Fridge (aka Eric)!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chapter 5 - Gone Tropical! (April, May, June 2014)

Lunatic travels for work - he does radio tower stuff. He had to leave for American Samoa at the end of March. I flew out to meet him and tagged along for the last 10 or so days of the trip at end of April! AMAZING! Since the radio towers are usually on big hills in remote areas, his company imported a Jeep (TJ Rubicon) to the island! We got to take the Jeep up a jungle mountain! Way cool. Tropical island yes, but real night life - no. So we spent nights online...ordering Jeep parts. I ordered a Trektop, offroad mirrors, grab handles, Spiderwebshade and VDP end caps to stubby my bumper. Remember the end caps, you won't see these again for quite a while. And the Trektop and Spiderwebshade had fairly short lives as you will see.

In May, my son came for a visit. We picked him up at the airport in Lunatics Jeep. My son promptly asked if his mother would buy him 37 inch tires and a Hemi. His mother said....no. We took my son on a few Jeep runs while he was here. We did Elvis in Lunatics Jeep (and blew a tire on the first obstacle to give my son something to remember lol), and even let my son drive my Jeep part of the way on a Crown King run. We did the Crown King run on Mothers Day - best mothers day EVAR in the desert with Jeeps and my 2 favorite guys! My son left the pictures of those runs up on his Facebook for MONTHS!

Just a really cool pic of me and Lunatic at Butcher Jones for sunset.

Finally in oh mid June, we got around to installing the Trek Top, grab handles and Spiderwebshade.

In between, Lunatic had been helping me plan my Jeep build. It started getting very expensive to add a D44 front, lockers, and so on to a Sport......

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chapter 6 - The Ultimate Jeep Mod (July 2014)

The first week of July, we took off the Trektop, grab handles and Spiderwebshade lol. I traded the Sport with less than 10k on the clock for the ultimate upgrade. I just upgraded the whole Jeep - for a 2014 2 door Granite Crystal Rubicon! MEET BOB!!!!! This is the day he found me. (Wranglers find their owners - owners do not find their Wranglers!)

Note that Bob got wheeled even before he lost his temp tags - even on his tiny tires. Bob is all about business!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oooh it's a steamy Jeep romance novel.
Oh Bob does have a girlfriend! Lunatics FrankenHeep is a girl (aka "The Mistress"). When Bob gets some bigger tires in the next chapter or 2, now they can really play together! One of the pics will be their first date on big tires when she came to pick him up at 4 Wheelers after his lift!

Best write up ever! Love this thread!
Thank you! I just had to do some catch up to get to the real mods.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chapter 7 - Mini Me and Karma is Creepy (July 2014)

A little side detour backwards. About a week before Bob came home with me, before I had even laid eyes on Bob, Lunatic and I went to a 4th of July party at a local Jeep dealer. They were giving away prizes. I won...a die cast toy Rubicon. Oddly enough it foretold the future in a strange and creepy way. I didnt even make the connection until Lunatic mentioned it. Bob has a Mini Me! It goes on trail runs with us, and we take pictures of it on the obstacles. If you get the camera zoom and angle just right, it looks darn close to a real Rubicon.

Sadly, on a more recent run, the kids on the run decided it would be cool to "roll" Mini Me. Then we could take a picture proclaiming we rolled a Jeep, all walked away safely, and the recovery was a success. Unfortunately, in the process, Mini Me really did roll off its obstacle and incurred trail carnage - its rear tire carrier and spare tire snapped off. In true Jeeper fashion, I crafted a ziptie solution to get Mini Me through the rest of the trail. I haven't downloaded those pictures off my camera yet, but they will show up in a later chapter.

Mini Me also has an affinity for Bob's girlfriend, the FrankenHeep (Lunatic's Jeep).

Is it real, or is it Mini Me?

Getting a little air....

Its first night run.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's about time to reincarnate this thread and bring it up to date lol!!!!

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am trying to contain my laughter at my desk...

OMG this i awesome....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts